Advertisements
Loud when accelerating

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whiteclaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2015, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loud when accelerating

I have a 2003, and earlier today I noticed a metallic rattling noise when I turned it on and then about ten minutes down the road it started making a ton of noise when accelerating, even a little bit. It gets louder when I went higher speeds but not by much, and it doesn't make any noise when I'm not accelerating, on idle, or stopped. No issues with driving the car, no smells, and the noise definitely is coming from the muffler/exhaust area. Any suggestions?
Old 09 Aug 2015, 11:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Loud when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoole28 View Post
I have a 2003, and earlier today I noticed a metallic rattling noise when I turned it on and then about ten minutes down the road it started making a ton of noise when accelerating, even a little bit. It gets louder when I went higher speeds but not by much, and it doesn't make any noise when I'm not accelerating, on idle, or stopped. No issues with driving the car, no smells, and the noise definitely is coming from the muffler/exhaust area. Any suggestions?
I recently bought an '02, and I swore it had a "race" exhaust on it, because it was REALLy loud when I accelerated.

It ends up that it had broken off of the mid pipe at the point where muffler clamps to the midpipe.

Start the car and let it idle. Then get out and go back to the muffler. Put your hand up near the tail pipe. See if you feel the exhaust/pressure coming out. If not, perhaps your muffler has broken off at the mid pipe, like mine. Or somewhere else along the pipe. Take a look.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Loud when accelerating

Vpoole,
Is it a turbo??

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 04:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoole28 View Post
All the tell tale signs I had the other week and wasn't sure either, but the muffler went on mine. It actually looked alright, but its the pipe leading to the box which had a huge gaping hole in it and i could feel it too.
Gkon likes this.

Old 11 Aug 2015, 05:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My 03 GT is loud during acceleration too, but its catless open downpipe :-P

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.