Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser GT 70k-90k mile Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2015, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser GT 70k-90k mile Maintenance

Hey guys, I bought my 2006 PT Cruiser GT with 62,000 miles about 3 years ago. For the first 2 years I only drove it about 10k miles and I did not do much maintenance on it. When I hit 72k miles, performance was getting worse so I started being more proactive with maintenance. Now that I'm at 88k miles I figured I'd post a list of all the maintenance and repairs I've had with my 2006 PT Cruiser GT between 70k-90k miles; hopefully it will help someone out. Also if you could help me out and let me know if I've missed anything, and let me know what I should look for coming up, that would be appreciated.

72k miles
-new tires ($550)
-oil change/oil filter ($120)
*bolt was stuck to the oil pan due to last shop I took it to, had to go to the dealer to get it out with an air hammer, got a little overcharged for labor

74k miles
Noticed turbo performance was getting worse, took it in to the dealer for a diagnostic, cost about $100. They gave me a list of problems with some outrageous prices. Power steering leak: Power steering switch replacement $215, power steering flush $100. Oil leak: replace oil pressure sensor $255. Right and left control arm replacement $830. Upper and lower engine mounts $640. Replace shifter cable $470. Replace broken radio $580. Tune up $250. Fuel induction service $110. I took this list and left out of there as soon as possible, taking note that they did not mention anything about the turbo which is why I went to them in the first place. I did some research, mostly on this forum, and decided the turbo problem was probably the oil feed lines. I ended up going to an independent mechanic I know and gradually knocked out items on this list.

75k miles
-Left and right control arms replacement ($250)
-upper and lower engine mounts ($200)

79k miles
-replace original battery ($150)

80k miles
-decreased turbo performance: replace turbo oil feed lines ($250),
-Radio won't turn on sometimes, broken cd player: install aftermarket radio ($150)
-oil leak: replace oil pressure sensor ($40)
-shifter cable wearing out: replace shifter cable ($60)
-oil change/oil filter ($35)
*Replacing the oil feed lines was by far the most tedious and time consuming repair on this list, but it also helped performance the most.
*The shifter cable actually went out right after we installed the oil feed lines, I started driving off and the shifter cable went out.

85k miles
-power steering leak: replace power steering switch ($50)
-replace rear brake pads ($40)

87k miles
A/C blowing warm, compressor not turning on: went to dealer, they replaced A/C low pressure sensor and recharged A/C ($260)

In progress (88k miles)- oil change/oil filter ($35), install turbo boost gauge ($120)

The total cost of maintenance and repairs from 70k-90k miles has been around $2400. Definitley more than I would like, and this is including the fact that I only went to the dealer for a turbo diagnostic and A/C repair because no one else could figure out the A/C. Hopefully, other than an upcoming timing belt replacement, this will be all of the major repairs for the next few years.

My PT Cruiser is performing decently right now, although it is not accelerating as quickly as it used to, and the gas mileage is down by about 2-3 mpg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.