Advertisements
2.4 N/A swap for 2.4 turbo

Like Tree3Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2015, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2.4 N/A swap for 2.4 turbo

Hi, so this is my first post and I am in need of replys ASAP! I blew my timing belt this weekend at 136k I was quoted $708 for just the belt and labor! That's if the valves are fine! Witch I have a gut feeling that there not! with this being said I have always wanted that turbo! I dream about it at night! Jk lol but i can get a parts PT GT the same year with less mi! So I was wondering what I'd have to swap? Computer, wiring harness, exhaust manifold, and add the intercooler ( I think the Gt has one?) any help or suggestions would be grate! Oh sorry I for got to mention its an 03 and I live in northern New York so the rust gets them before engin failure dose! There's lots of good parts cars around here!
Old 10 Aug 2015, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4 N/A swap for 2.4 turbo

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

We are very glad you are here. You should stick around, learn, discuss, debate, fight and generally have fun as you mod your PT into something very cool. The possibilities are endless.

All that said, the answer to the turbo on an NA questions is:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Some new member asks this just about once a week. It's a completely valid questions. However, adding OEM turbo components to a NA PT would be extremely difficult even if you had a complete turbo car just like your NA PT to take parts off of. There are lots of differences. And while going with an aftermarket turbo setup is likely more feasible, it would take a great deal of time, money and expertise.

Next, add the fact that you can buy a perfectly good PT Cruiser GT for under $4,000. Right now, the market is such that it's cheaper to sell your current NA PT and buy a turbo PT. That's exactly what I did. And I bought my beautiful 2005 GT for only $100 more than I sold my nicely modded 2001 NA PT for. So adding a turbo to a NA PT just doesn't work financially when you can spend less to actually have a real turbo PT.

Also, $708 sounds like a good deal for the timing belt job if the water pump, tensioner and idler pulley our including which they usually are. If I didn't work on my own car, I'd jump on that deal.

The PT's 2.4L engine is "non-interference". This means that the piston should not hit the valves if the timing belt breaks. So you likely will not need a valve job. The valves can sometimes hit one another when the belt breaks or so it's been reported but very rarely. And that may just be mechanics wanting to charge for a valve job. But if good, do the timing belt job and be happy.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Aug 2015 at 05:39 pm.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 05:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you have a donor car, and unlimited time, you can swap everything over and it may or may not run ok. It would have to have everything swapped over though, and I mean everything - meaning Turbo motor, wiring, transmision, all emissions items, every little vacuum/boost line, May as well put the Brakes off the turbo car on as you are going to need the turbo axles/half shaft, Turbo exhaust, steering column with skim module, turbo pcm that corresponds with the skim or the ability to program that, probably the gauge cluster, signal light wiring, the radio, blah blah blah its the whole wiring harness, etc, etc. It would take a long time if you are just tinkering on the weekends at it.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you can't do the timing belt job. You don't even want to think about the things your going to have to do for a turbo conversion.

Almost 0 chance of valve damage. Truthfully the only reported bent valves since I have been on this forum is when someone is having a shop do it. And were told they were. Not a reported case of valve damage by anyone who decided to do their own. I find that strange. We have some good how to threads on the belt change and if your up to it. That's what I would do. I would advise you take pic as you tare down and most importantly take good clear pics of the timing after you get the belt on before covering it up. Also start it up while still open to be sure it runs smooth. Many more tips in the help threads also that can be a lifesaver during and after the job. Welcome and good luck. A new timing belt is a good selling point when selling to get the best money out. Incase you decide to go turbo car shopping.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Aug 2015, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 2.4 N/A swap for 2.4 turbo

Thank you for the info! The estimate is for just belt and labor looking at 300 more for water pump and ect. I think I'm just going to do the belt my self then! I just wanted to avoid the hassle of it honestly! But not for that price! I am a fairly good mechanic. However this will be my first timing belt, any tips? I would like to know as many little tips and tricks as I can do the whole thing goes faster!
Also thank you for the engin swap info! I can't believe it would be so difficult to go from a n/a model to a turbo model of the same year!
Old 10 Aug 2015, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2.4 N/A swap for 2.4 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If you can't do the timing belt job. You don't even want to think about the things your going to have to do for a turbo conversion.

Almost 0 chance of valve damage. Truthfully the only reported bent valves since I have been on this forum is when someone is having a shop do it. And were told they were. Not a reported case of valve damage by anyone who decided to do their own. I find that strange. We have some good how to threads on the belt change and if your up to it. That's what I would do. I would advise you take pic as you tare down and most importantly take good clear pics of the timing after you get the belt on before covering it up. Also start it up while still open to be sure it runs smooth. Many more tips in the help threads also that can be a lifesaver during and after the job. Welcome and good luck. A new timing belt is a good selling point when selling to get the best money out. Incase you decide to go turbo car shopping.
Thank you I was just asking these very things as you where posting! I'll probably attempt this some time this week as I'll have to order the parts! That being said whe sells the best quality kits for the lowest price?
Old 10 Aug 2015, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder13 View Post
That being said whe sells the best quality kits for the lowest price?
RockAuto Parts Catalog

RockAuto Discount Code - Expires 8/15/2015

RockAuto Wholesaler Closeout Parts

Part numbers frequently chosen by other RockAuto customers
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder13 View Post
Thank you I was just asking these very things as you where posting! I'll probably attempt this some time this week as I'll have to order the parts! That being said whe sells the best quality kits for the lowest price?
HOW TO's

Here is a couple of a few that has to do with Belt change.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2015, 12:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not this tax season but next im taking my o1 na&03 turbo amd swapinf engines its not hard it time cumsuming.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser View Post
Not this tax season but next im taking my o1 na&03 turbo amd swapinf engines its not hard it time cumsuming.
That would be awesome. Be sure to take lots of photos and post them in a thread here on the forum. They when they are fighting about this in the future, someone can link back to your thread and say, "Hey, this guy did it."

Tags
engine swap, help quick, money, parts, timing belt