PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Air Bag light warning- Seatbelt Retractor Switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2015, 08:20 am
Fresh Cruiser
Default Air Bag light warning- Seatbelt Retractor Switch?

I need to address an annoying issue on the 2002 Limited before daughter takes it to University soon. I appologize in advance for thw sophomoric questions and not having service manual...thanks in advance for helping.

Symptom: The airbag light & chime continues to come on and go off while driving every minute or so.

Dealer said it is the drivers side seatbelt retractor switch . There are a few cruiser donors in the local yard so I figured I would grab one from there and swap out.

As mentioned, I do not have a manual yet, and before I go tearing into the donor car and ours, I wanted to ask some questions here.

1) Does the diagnosis fit the symptom and is this common?, If so Q#2, if not Q#3
2) Is this a pretty straight forward job and I can pull the interior trim off to access the switch and swap one out? Any special tools or technique to not damage the switch or any other tip?
3) What causes this issue and how to solve it?

Thanks. MarkO
1970 BUICK Skylark 462CID 4 speed N20 Street Sleeper
1991 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 50k miles
2012 VW EOS
2011 GMC Acadia
2002 Chrysler PTCruiser

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Raoul Duke

Street Sleeper ~ 1970 Skylark Holiday Coupe
build thread -