PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with BAD vibration

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2015, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with BAD vibration

Vehicle is son's 2004, non-turbo. about 120,00 miles. After hitting a pothole and bending a rim, just put on a new set of aftermarket wheels and new tires. Still have a horrible vibration. Have taken it twice to have balanced, and all checks out. Second time dismounted tires and checked wheels for roundness and tires for broken cords or out of round. All checked out fine. Problem is still a bad vibration. Not real noticeable at slow speeds. Around 50 and you can hardly sit in vehicle. It eventually smoothes out a little around 70. However, at any speed, under a load (like going up a hill), it gets worse, and you can feel it in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal under a load. Steering wheel does not vibrate running down the road, feel it mostly in my butt, so it sounds like it's coming from the rear end. I'm at a loss and so is the mechanic. HELP! Please! Any ideas of what to look for next?
Old 13 Aug 2015, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with BAD vibration

At this point you need to check suspension componets. Wheel bearings tie rods inner and out. Ball joints. Loose or bent. That reminds me. Put it up and turn the wheels to see if they run true. May have bent the hub. Check all four. If not the front. Something is bent or lose. Tie rods and ball joint can bend at the joint that connects them to the spindle. I'll look good until you pop them out and spin the shaft.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Maybe you need a wheel alignment too which isn;t the same as having them balanced where they put those little weights on.

Only time I had my wheels aligned though is when the wheel arm had some work done to it.
Gkon likes this.

Old 13 Aug 2015, 10:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds more like an axle problem to me. I'm suspecting you cracked a cv joint on impact and need to replace the axle. BUT, I'm not an ASE mechanic. Just a tired, old, broke down shade tree. Especially the tired part.
JoeX and Gkon like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chuzz...I'm with you. Both mechanics I've taken it to can't seem to find that though. They've been all over the front end and can't find any broken or bent suspension parts. I would think a broken or cracked CV would show up at all speeds though. But then again...what do I know? I'm like you. Old and broken down and I like to sit in the shade a lot.

I just spent over $1000 dollars on his car. Fan had gone out along with a/c compressor. That's on top of the $800 I spent on wheels and tires! I would hate to drop another grand on it now. it's a beautiful car. 2004 Limited Woody, leather interior, just rolled 120,000, paint is perfect and it looks great! Just getting into territory where I'm putting more in it that it's worth!
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by bhayes420; 14 Aug 2015 at 10:21 am.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 10:34 am
Cool Cruiser

The tires can be round but the tread can be off. Have them put your from wheels on the back and visa versa and see if the vibration changes from front to back or visa versa. If so it's in the wheels if not it's in the suspention.

Also have them put it on a lift and run the wheels and see if there is a vibration if so something is bent or our of balance.

Good luck!!

Mike
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Reminds of a very nice Lincoln Mark 8 I bought it had a vibration in the front..I kept taking it back to where I bought it...they balanced the wheels several times..it would be a little bit better then would get worse again..About the 3Rd time the guy balancing the tires called me over to take a look...He spun the wheel on the balancer..it was going up and down sideways...all over.... ..Then he says...you have 3 out of 4 tires like this...They were almost new Goodyear the previous owner had bought. ...hmm mmmm So I looked up the tire to find out they were Walmart exclusives...So looks like he got what he paid for..I replaced the tires with a good set from a local shop,,,,It was smooth as glass.....

Old 14 Aug 2015, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes420 View Post
Chuzz...I'm with you. Both mechanics I've taken it to can't seem to find that though. They've been all over the front end and can't find any broken or bent suspension parts. I would think a broken or cracked CV would show up at all speeds though. But then again...what do I know? I'm like you. Old and broken down and I like to sit in the shade a lot.

I just spent over $1000 dollars on his car. Fan had gone out along with a/c compressor. That's on top of the $800 I spent on wheels and tires! I would hate to drop another grand on it now. it's a beautiful car. 2004 Limited Woody, leather interior, just rolled 120,000, paint is perfect and it looks great! Just getting into territory where I'm putting more in it that it's worth!
Wow those prices are high. Can't understand that. You can't see a bent ball joint or tie rid. If it's bent at the tapered shaft while it's connected. Have they spun the wheels on the front hubs to see if the wobble. The hub that the wheel bolts too can get bent. I have replaced one for that myself. The one with the bent wheel is the likely one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Aug 2015, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Busted_PT...For around here those prices are about right. It was $340 for the a/c compressor, $90 for the dryer, $60 for the orfice tube and $198 for the fan. Just a little over $300 for labor. Labor is always high on a PT. THey are a bear to work on under the hood. You just can't get to anything! Son drove it back to college today. Taking it to another shop Tuesday down there. Maybe they can find something. Tires have been rotated, balanced, tires taken off wheels and wheels and tires checked. Suspension has been checked. There's still a problem somewhere! Surely someone can find it. Appreciate all the replies!
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes420 View Post
Busted_PT...For around here those prices are about right. It was $340 for the a/c compressor, $90 for the dryer, $60 for the orfice tube and $198 for the fan. Just a little over $300 for labor. Labor is always high on a PT. THey are a bear to work on under the hood. You just can't get to anything! Son drove it back to college today. Taking it to another shop Tuesday down there. Maybe they can find something. Tires have been rotated, balanced, tires taken off wheels and wheels and tires checked. Suspension has been checked. There's still a problem somewhere! Surely someone can find it. Appreciate all the replies!
I buy my parts on line. $50.+ for radiator. Under 30 for dryer. And so on. Keep us posted on what they find.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com