PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with Transmission question.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help with Transmission question.

Ok, it's an 07 automatic with 61k miles. never had the transmission fluid or filter changed. Starting to feel that when the car down shifts automaticly to first gear, there is a 'klunking' noise. Up shifts are all fine, and this 'klunking' is only going into first gear. Problem is it doesn't do it all the time, maybe 7 out of 10 times. Can I siphon out a quart of trans fluid and put a quart of an additive in? Or is it time for a trany kit? Or........?
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with Transmission question.

I am not a big fan of transmission additives.

If it was me, I would just change the fluid and filter. See what that does for you. It's the simplest and cheapest thing to try, especially if you do it yourself.

Here's a thread where I did mine. I recommend fully synthetic ATF +4. And do not use, or let anyone else use, anything but ATF +4. No generic fluid with additives or anything like that.

The Handy Transmission Filter Change and Do It Yourself Flush

And disregard the "hack" trying to defend bad shop practices in that thread. He follows me around and does that. Sometimes I think he has a crush.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Aug 2015 at 09:37 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Handy Cruiser 100%. Accept NO substitutes. Mopar ATF+4 ONLY. I've seen too many Mopars die premature deaths because some moron insists that Dexron with an additive is "just as good." It isn't. Period. If that doesn't do the trick, perhaps a trip to the dealership to see if the TCM needs flashing or upgrading, would be in order.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the torque struts. When the torque struts on my Pt
Cruiser started going out I thought it was the transmission but found out later it was the torque struts. When I got my new torque struts at the dealer they said that the torque struts average about 70,000 miles before they need replacing. You can check it by starting up the engine, put your foot on the brake peddle, put it in gear and back to park and have some look at the engine and see if it moves an inch or more back and fourth.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Transmission additives are commonly and regularly used in better qualified experienced Transmission service shops. You may want to contact them and ask what they suggest to use.

There are also Transmission fluid provided by AMZOIL that can be used with better technical qualities than ATF+4

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Aug 2015 at 12:51 pm. Reason: Inflammatory remarks deleted.