Busted TIP Sensor

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By inertian
  • 1 Post By inertian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Busted TIP Sensor

'04 PT Cruiser Platinum Limited Turbo Lite, auto trans, ~70,500 miles, plugs & wires changed about six months ago (Champion copper and MSDs), full synth oil changed every 5K miles.

Been getting the occasional rough idle and 0234 code on acceleration to highway speed, checked all hoses and they seemed fine. Thought I would pull and clean all sensors as well, noticed the TIP (Throttle lnlet Pressure) sensor (Chrysler part # 05033222AA, mounted on a bracket on the firewall) was cracked and crumbling. Fell apart when I pulled it out, looks like a previous repair was attempted with glue...

Question 1: until I can replace this sensor, better to cap off the vacuum hose that attached to it, or leave open?

Question 2: where is the best place to get the part from? Looks like Rock Auto doesn't have it, should I try another online vendor or my local Chrysler dealer?

Thanks!
Pippov likes this.

Last edited by inertian; 17 Aug 2015 at 09:37 am.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Busted TIP Sensor

Don't know where you can get the part, but yes, cap off the vacuum lines until you get it.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Local dealer ordered part from their warehouse ($39), got it next day and installed, car seems fine again, full power, smoother idle, even the AC feels colder. Code 0234 gone.

Only issue is the CEL came on before the repair, now I have code 0068 and 1190. Probably knocked something loose when I installed the TIP sensor, I'll recheck. Who knows, maybe I need a MAP and/or IAT sensor now, have read here that its good practice to replace both at the same time.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Busted TIP Sensor - Update

Didn't find any loose hoses, CEL turned itself off yesterday, all seems fine except my Ultra Gauge still showing codes 0068 and 1190 under Engine TCs, nothing under Pending TCs. The TC Alarm sounded after about 30 seconds of idling this morning, and I had just turned on the AC (that have anything to do with it?).

Do I just need to complete more drive cycles (only driven about 20 miles locally since CEL went out) to clear the TCs, or should I go ahead and clean and/or replace the MAP sensor?

Thanks.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Busted TIP Sensor - Problem Solved!

Pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned all surfaces and contact points with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner spray, let dry, reconnected, all codes cleared and car running fine.
LionPT likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Busted TIP Sensor - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertian View Post
Didn't find any loose hoses, CEL turned itself off yesterday, all seems fine except my Ultra Gauge still showing codes 0068 and 1190 under Engine TCs, nothing under Pending TCs. The TC Alarm sounded after about 30 seconds of idling this morning, and I had just turned on the AC (that have anything to do with it?).

Do I just need to complete more drive cycles (only driven about 20 miles locally since CEL went out) to clear the TCs, or should I go ahead and clean and/or replace the MAP sensor?

Thanks.
If the codes come back I would suggest doing a battery load test. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops so I would suggest having a battery load test done with the battery in the PT Cruiser. This is the only way to make sure the battery and charging electrical system is working properly before doing a proper diagnosis on the current problem with your PT Cruiser. On one of my PT Cruisers if the battery is weak or the battery contacts are not good when I turn on the A/C I get random diagnostic trouble codes.

If you start to hear a sucking noise when the engine is running I would suggest starting at the air filter and checking all the connections up to the throttle body. You'll probably find a disconnected hose or part of the filter system. There's a vacuum line next to the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor that's part of the air filter so make sure that's connected.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion. Installed a new battery about six months ago so hopeful I'll have no electrical related issues.

Car's been running fine for two days, no codes or CELs' and my gas mileage seems to be back up where it used to be before this problem first started.