Advertisements
04 GT HO Turbo project?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2015, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 04 GT HO Turbo project?

Today we are going to look at a wrecked 04GTHO Cruiser. I'm going to check the timing belt for function and bring a hot battery to possibly get mileage from speedometer and maybe engine codes. I'm hoping for a bad belt without water in the cylinders. I'll try to turn it over if they have a key.
It seems complete by the pics I've gotten so we might try it to redo. The price is 1k which isn't bad if the GT 17s are any good. At least it doesn't use that awful 03 style Mercedes cooling fan. The medallions indicate a 220 high output turbo setup so we would get five whole horsepower more than our 03s. That is ridiculous.
Wish us luck. Any advice except the usual check the VIN against the title?
I believe many of the virtually undamaged Cruisers we're seeing the junkyards are just popped timing belts cars with owners who don't , can't, or won't spend the grand to keep their Cruiser alive so they sell them to junkyards for a few hundred bucks even though they are NOT worn out junk. A terrible waste of good machinery.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 19 Aug 2015 at 01:05 am.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 04 GT HO Turbo project? UPDATE

Finally got loose to check out the 04 PTGTHO about thirty minutes from home.
It was a white PT with the dark grey leather interior (which could be salvaged with some repair work) and 17" GT wheels.
The car was up on a rack when I got there. The wreck damage was a slight pop to the nose which broke the ears on the bumper cover and slightly deformed the crush bar. The fender tips weren't even bent.
They had removed three of the wheels and the lower front crossmember under the radiator/charge air cooler. There is slight bump in the bottom of the charge air cooler and no other apparent damage to oil cooler, condenser, radiator and fan.
I inspected the wheels and all were usable but only one was damage free. One had little round dings scattered on the spokes, not deep and not many. The other two had seriously ugly gouges in several spokes as if broken concrete gouged them no cracks no typical bead road rash, just ruined. Strike ONE!
They took it down from the rack so I could take a good look topside and inside.
As they lifted it I saw the rust free no scrapes rockers were dented all to hell from front back on both sides likely from mishandling in the insurance yard, auction lot and here. Strike TWO!
Checked interior, fronts seats slight wear but a couple tears, rear seats near perfect. Grille was inside but mounting bars were broken up. Steering wheel with silver spoke covers had big ugly cover on it so I figured the wheel was junk, but pulled anyway and found absolutely mint wheel underneath. Car also has the metal covered rubber dot pedal pads. And those beautiful aluminum or stainless sill plates with script. Opened perfect hatch with no damage and perfect lettering and HO badge and found intake and cam cover in the back. Boo.
Walked up the front lifted the hood to find open top engine with fuel rail missing ONE injector!
Got big wrench from parts puller and tried to turn engine over, frozen solid. Nuts. Strike THREE! Not buying the car, he wouldn't come off the $1K price tag.
I went home with the complete fan/radiator/condenser/oil cooler/charge air cooler package, the charge air intake hose and charge air exhaust hose setup, the turbo, the intake, both pieces with throttle body, the airbox with perfect box and slightly damaged top, the power steering pump with reservoir and mounting bracket, the shift knob (a painter), and completely forgot the steering wheel and pedals, Sheeeeshh! It was hot, they wouldn't let me pull the parts, the guy didn't understand when I told him to save all the fasteners, hell, there's no excuse. I'm old, I forgot.
I may call tomorrow and have them pull the transmission for my 02 Dream or spare and try to bundle the pedals and wheel some how. See, I just forgot those beautiful sill plates. Anyone know how to remove them without bending them all up. I have no clue how they are mounted,
Thank you for listening to the yammering of an old fella at eleven pm. Good night!
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 25 Aug 2015 at 12:14 pm.