PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello from a new PT owner and couple of questions

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2015, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello from a new PT owner and couple of questions

Hey all, Just picked up a real clean 2002 Silver PT limited with about 89K on her. Originally I was going to just swap it or sell if for something else, but after cleaning her up and driving if for a few day I am realizing it is in really sweet condition and really fun to drive. I have a 15 year old son that will be getting his license in a month or so and figured it would be a great starter car for him. He likes it overall, but feel it is a little too "girlish" in apperance, I told him we could definitely make it a little more manly, I have seen some great ones on the web and on here, so, my thought is, hit the headlights and tails first, looking for some suggestions. I want it to look nice and not attract the attention of the LEO's out there, I love the tear drop tails but I figure they would be a cop magnet, not the best thing for a teen. Any way, any input is appreciated, anything I can do to toughen up the looks of the PT on a budget. And hello from Bucks county PA!!!
ptbugzy likes this.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hello from a new PT owner and couple of questions

Welcome to the forum. There's nothing you just add or screw on to the PT Cruiser that will attract more or less attention to law enforcement except maybe some flames. Different headlights (there's not really a choice unless you do some different fenders or major bodywork) or different taillights (honestly NOBODY really notices unless they own or owned a pt) or even changing the wheels (again, most people won't notice). There's tons of accessories (I'll post some aftermarket vendors) but it's how your son likes them. Don't worry about attracting too much attention, especially from the law. That's all a personal response with some experience.

PTWarehouse - Your PT Cruiser Superstore

Race and Street: PT Cruiser

PTEAZER - Your Source For PT Cruiser Parts, PT Cruiser Aftermarket Parts, PT Cruiser Accessories, PT Cruiser Conversions, PT Cruiser Modifications and Panel Conversions
Riperoo likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2015 at 07:13 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 07:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Be ready for the thousand dollar timing belt, tensioner sand water pump expense which will give you another 100K miles of happy motoring.
Manly, WHAT?, Cruisers are manly if you think they are. If you think they are feminine, they will never look manly, dykey, maybe, manly no.
Seriously, a nice classic set of home done rattle can flames would toughen it up maybe. They can be done well but if you don't have the eye for it, nevermind.
Maybe a big iron cross on the tailgate and both front doors with a surfboard bolted to the roof or luggage rack if you gave one, surfer MAN, you see.
Welcome, you and your son should enjoy and love the Cruiser, comfortable, different, and also different. Enjoy!
Riperoo likes this.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, thanks, that was one of the things I liked, it did have the timing belt and pump already done. I did see they could have been an issue, and quite frankly, I probably would not dump a grand into a 13 year old car. I figure if I can get a couple of years out of it for a first car for a teen, it will have earned its keep.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 07:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If the belt etc change has been done your little car, with proper maintenance and repairs, should be good for another 100k.
These are great cars for kids and fun for the rest of us too.
Gkon and Riperoo like this.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riperoo View Post
......He likes it overall, but feel it is a little too "girlish" in apperance, I told him we could definitely make it a little more manly, I have seen some great ones on the web and on here, so, my thought is, hit the headlights and tails first, looking for some suggestions. I want it to look nice and not attract the attention of the LEO's out there, I love the tear drop tails but I figure they would be a cop magnet, not the best thing for a teen. Any way, any input is appreciated, anything I can do to toughen up the looks of the PT on a budget. And hello from Bucks county PA!!!
Headlights - You can get headlights with black bezels like mine in my footer below.

Tail lights - Several choices on ebay and other website.

More Butch - Paint the bumpers black and and add a black spoiler on the back. That seems to add a little testosterone to the look for not much money.

More - Lowering springs can give the PT a more aggressive stance. And custom wheels always look good. 17-inch rims look good on any PT. And 18-inch rims will work to with the right tire selection.

Here's my 2001 Limited that I used to have with the black bumper and spoiler:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Aug 2015 at 10:32 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wheels always make a deference. But attitude is in the drivers mined. These PTs require a man hat is secure in his manhood. I in no way fill I'm driving a girls car. Although they do like them and love to ride and drive them as much as we do. Sold one to a guy that hated all cars passed 92 or even earlier. Couple of rides and a drive to the parts store. He wanted one. He bought one to fix. Then bought the one I was driving. They grow on you. Like him he first made a little fun of. Said people made fun of them back were he came from. But the bug got him too in the end. Ask him what he thinks would work. Not my taste but these kids like the black wheels. The blacked inner bezel head lights like Handy has look good. Might give some thought to a pair of racing stripes down the middle of the pt. made out of black , charcoal gray, or even carbon fiber print vinyl. Black or gray (my choice) makes no difference on the man thing. With the gray strips. The gray would look best.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Aug 2015, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think as long as it looks like brand new that is the most important task. Also if the girls think its cute and it gives your son a chance to talk to them that could be a big plus in your son's attitude about the PT Cruisers.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, probably a stupid question, but can't seem to find it on line, looking at these tail lights, I am assuming that I would not be using the stock bulbs, I would have to have colored bulbs. Correct? There is no Red or Orange in there, looks like clear smoked to me.

Depo 01 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Smoke Smoked Rear Tail Backup Reverse Lights | eBay
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

It's a first car for a teen.

Personally I'd hang a pair of balls from the rear bumper and call it a day
Rayvin60 likes this.