Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Woes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2015, 09:17 am
Banned

Default Transmission Woes?

Well I had to break down and take my PT to the dealer today. The CEL is not, or has not been on lately but it just has not been running right and I thought it was tune up related. I hate going to the shop without the CEL on or an actual component broken, because it can be some of the hardest issues for them to troubleshoot, and then they can rack up lots of diagnostic time. But when they checked in the vehicle, they did find two codes stored:

P0218 Transmission Fluid Over Temperature Condition
P0714 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent

I had seen these codes before (as gray faults on my monitor) but dismissed them because I was told that my PT does not have a transmission temperature sensor. Not sure what these are exactly related to, but in doing some searching on the internet it could be a possible issue with the transmission cooler. The transmission was serviced (filter & fluid replaced and system flushed) at around 88,000 miles. The other issues with it not running right could be tied to the shiftability of the transmission.

What is somewhat frustrating with using the dealer is that you have to turn the vehicle over to them and let it sit in their parking lot for a few days before they get to it. They said it could be a week before they get to it. Why can't I make an appointment and keep my vehicle while my appointment is in que, then when the tech is ready, they call me a couple hours before and I bring them the vehicle? This would save on rental car charges for me. Anyway, will have to wait and see what they find.

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Aug 2015 at 09:19 am.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Woes?

I don't know enough to comment on your transmission, but your dealer is ridiculous.
I am lucky in that I found an excellent independent mechanic that I go to. Not much cheaper than a dealer, but honest and competent.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Aug 2015, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Either the sensor is bad or the wiring has an issue. From the codes.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2015, 02:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Either the sensor is bad or the wiring has an issue. From the codes.
But what sensor? When I asked the parts department about a transmission temp sensor, they said there isn't one on my PT.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:27 pm
Banned

Well, I got the report from the dealer and what they found, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the transmission, but the center motor mount is broken and needs to be replaced. Of course along with that, they say they have to remove the timing belt cover and they are recommending replacing the timing belt and water pump, again. All that work was done on 03/13 at 89,000 miles. I was sure hoping to get a lot longer out of that timing belt change. The center mount was not changed when the timing belt was first done, but is sounds like if someone is going to have this work done, since the center mount has to be removed anyway, then for just the cost of the part, it would be wise to install a new center mount at that time, and avoid the frustration that I am currently experiencing. The broken center mount also explains the "clunking" noises that I have heard recently from that side of the vehicle, kind of sounds like bad control arm bushings, but a little higher up. I even had a friend comment recently on the sounds, as he had ridden in my PT many times and noticed the "clunking"

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Aug 2015 at 04:03 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 05:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd tell them to keep their frigging hands off the timing belt. It was done about 2 years ago and does NOT need a new one. Fix the mount and get my PT back to me. Those turds sound like the one I used to deal with in TN. Always trying to upsell you something you don't need. Don't let them do it. Period.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 05:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I'd tell them to keep their frigging hands off the timing belt. It was done about 2 years ago and does NOT need a new one. Fix the mount and get my PT back to me. Those turds sound like the one I used to deal with in TN. Always trying to upsell you something you don't need. Don't let them do it. Period.
But can the center mount be replaced without disturbing the front motor cover? That's what I can't verify on the internet. Some information says that it must be removed to replace the mount.

This is what the service manual says:

"MOUNT-RIGHT
REMOVAL
1. Remove the engine assembly for the required
clearance to access the engine mount (Refer to 9 -
ENGINE - REMOVAL)."

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Aug 2015 at 05:15 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2015, 08:10 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm learning a lot from your post. Sorry I can't help with the answers, but I'm curious about the 'clunk' noise you hear. I too have a 'clunk' and have been trying to figure it out. I changed the transmission fluid and filter hoping to solve it, but know luck. I have a 'clunk' when the transmission down shifts into first gear. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes it's harder then others. Driving me crazy. Of course when I took it to my trany shop for service (fluid/filter) and they took it for a ride, it didn't
clunk' for them @#$#@#$
Old 29 Aug 2015, 08:18 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
I'm learning a lot from your post. Sorry I can't help with the answers, but I'm curious about the 'clunk' noise you hear. I too have a 'clunk' and have been trying to figure it out. I changed the transmission fluid and filter hoping to solve it, but know luck. I have a 'clunk' when the transmission down shifts into first gear. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes it's harder then others. Driving me crazy. Of course when I took it to my trany shop for service (fluid/filter) and they took it for a ride, it didn't
clunk' for them @#$#@#$
Here is my post from another thread on the latest issues with my PT. There was nothing wrong with the transmission.

Got my PT back from the shop after having the timing belt work done, again, due to a bad center motor mount. In case anyone is curious, the below pics are of the center mount. It has a rubber dampener insert, the same as the torque struts do, and over time, it will tear, the same as the torque struts do.

My friendly advice is that if you are having the timing belt work done on your PT, or are doing it yourself, spend the few dollars more now and replace the center mount, it can save you hundreds of dollars in having the work done again, before the timing belt is due again for replacement. I'm really disappointed in the dealership that did the original work. The reason that I went to them is that they are supposed to be the experts. If they had informed me about the possible issues with this center mount, I would have gladly paid to have it replaced then rather than paying to have the work redone again.

The service manual says that to replace the mount the engine has to be removed. The dealer I took it to opted to remove the front cover and gain access that way. The additional work I added this time, besides replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump again, was I had them also replace the cam and crankshaft seals. I don't want to have to pay them to tear into that area again, anytime soon.

I had the timing belt work done 03/13 and at the rate that I drive, that work should have lasted me almost another 5 years. But my PT began running rough lately and had a good vibration when in gear, with or without the a/c on. All this happened about the same time that my PT experienced a "stumble" "buck" or "jerk" while trying to accelerate to get onto the highway. At the time, I was concerned that the timing belt had jumped a tooth, or it was tune up related (bad plugs, wires or coil). But it was a bad center mount. All is fine now, this just means that I have to keep my PT running a little longer now to get this latest expenditure out of it.