Center Motor Mount Replacement?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2015, 08:16 pm
Banned

Default Center Motor Mount Replacement?

Can anyone confirm if the center motor mount (passenger side) can be replaced without disturbing the front motor cover (timing belt & water pump)? Or does all of that have to be removed to gain access?

This is the only information in the service manual:

"MOUNT-RIGHT
REMOVAL
1. Remove the engine assembly for the required
clearance to access the engine mount (Refer to 9 -
ENGINE - REMOVAL)."
Old 28 Aug 2015, 09:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: Center Motor Mount Replacement?

Got my PT back from the shop today after having the timing belt work done, again, due to a bad center motor mount. In case anyone is curious, the below pics are of the center mount. It has a rubber dampener insert, the same as the torque struts do, and over time, it will tear, the same as the torque struts do.

My friendly advice is that if you are having the timing belt work done on your PT, or are doing it yourself, spend the few dollars more now and replace the center mount, it can save you hundreds of dollars in having the work done again, before the timing belt is due again for replacement. I'm really disappointed in the dealership that did the original work. The reason that I went to them is that they are supposed to be the experts. If they had informed me about the possible issues with this center mount, I would have gladly paid to have it replaced then rather than paying to have the work redone again.

The service manual says that to replace the mount the engine has to be removed. The dealer I took it to opted to remove the front cover and gain access that way. The additional work I added this time, besides replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump again, was I had them also replace the cam and crankshaft seals. I don't want to have to pay them to tear into that area again, anytime soon.

I had the timing belt work done 03/13 and at the rate that I drive, that work should have lasted me almost another 5 years. But my PT began running rough lately and had a good vibration when in gear, with or without the a/c on. All this happened about the same time that my PT experienced a "stumble" "buck" or "jerk" while trying to accelerate to get onto the highway. At the time, I was concerned that the timing belt had jumped a tooth, or it was tune up related (bad plugs, wires or coil). But it was a bad center mount. All is fine now, this just means that I have to keep my PT running a little longer now to get this latest expenditure out of it.
Daeouse likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 28 Aug 2015 at 11:14 pm.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Center Motor Mount Replacement?

Excellent advice. Thanks for posting the damaged center motor mount image and the reminder to replace it when replacing the timing belt. It could save some other members a lot of pain and funds down the road.
rckstein likes this.