Someone cracked my car!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2015, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Someone cracked my car!

Hi, Came out of my house this morning to find my front bumper cracked on the passenger side, and a little bit on the driver's side. I'm thinking one of my neighbor's idiot friends backed into me overnight. Anyway, called the insurance company and the police, and Allstate is taking care of it. So, my question is, since I have a $500 deductible, how much am I looking at to replace this?
Old 27 Aug 2015, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Someone cracked my car!

Sorry about that but kiss your $500 goodbye. The rest will be up to Allstate. Your in good hands.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

But you a bumper on line and you can even buy one painted. And install your self. Spend less than your deductible.
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Aug 2015, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was there any paint left on the bumper from the other unknown car?
Old 28 Aug 2015, 07:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

I hope they believe you. I've rammed quite a few things in my PT for fun, pretty hard, and never had any damage. Well, i had a giggling girl in a GTP got me hard enough to rip the plate off. Someone would need to go 10 mph...in reverse.. to do that

I'd ask about the accident forgiveness they brag about on TV. Maybe it'll be free.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

I'd ask about the accident forgiveness they brag about on TV. Maybe it'll be free.
...or the vanishing deductible where $100 drops off your deductible for every year you don't have a claim. I started at a $500 deductible with Hartford Insurance and now down to $0 for any accident/crash I might be involved in.
Gkon likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The cheapest way out for this is to fix that bumper cover. If only the two ends are damaged as shown in the photos, a 98% repair may be possible for not much money.

I would remove the bumper cover from the car. Then I would glue the broken piece back to the main part using any quick set clear epoxy. I would try to get the seams as tight as possible.

Once the quick set epoxy dried, I would fashion some reinforcement gussets out of another piece of similar durable plastic such as a piece from another bumper cover. I would then use a very strong epoxy to attach the reinforcements to the back side of the repairs. I might have to re-drill the bolt holes depending on how the gussets were made.

After complete, I would use touch up paint to fill in the seams. And then reinstall the bumper cover.

I did something very similar to my own bumper cover on my PT. And I've done this before on other cars as well. Done correctly, it can look very good. Here's a link. You will have to follow along to the next pages to see the end result.

The Handy 2005 GT Modification and Upgrade Thread

And here's were it picks back up:

The Handy 2005 GT Modification and Upgrade Thread

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Aug 2015 at 09:23 am.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 02:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Mine was cracked just like that on both sides. I went to a local pull a part and got a new bumper cover WITH fog lights for fifty bucks. Real easy to replace. Now I just need to go back and get the multi-function switch and relay for the fog lights. I just hope they haven't crushed that one yet!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.