PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Picked up a new motor!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2015, 02:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Picked up a new motor!

Since my motor was found to have damaged rod bearings I can only imagine the havoc that was wrecked on my main bearings, turbo, and other internals with all the metal floating around in the oil. I had quite a few metal chunks come out of my filter without me even having to cut it open plus a few in my pickup tube. So I decided to replace my rod bearings as a bandaid and put the motor back together for now.

To top that off I stripped out my #1 spark plug hole in my head and had to helicoil it and I didn't do the greatest job on the helicoil.

So after causing and discovering some problems I went out and bought another motor!

Picked up a 2003 PT GT motor from the junkyard with 89k miles, around 150 psi compression for the cylinders, complete with the wiring harness, intake manifold, turbo/turbofold, all sensors, and the throttle body all for $686!

I thought I got a pretty good deal on it but what do you guys think? Is that a good price?

My intentions are to tear this motor down on a stand, do all new bearings, check the cylinder bore, hone the cylinders or bore over depending on measurements, new gaskets, new piston rings or new pistons (depending on whether I bore over or not), and throw the motor in my car. Probably a few other things here and there but that's the gist. Plus throw a new clutch in while I'm at it cause I've noticed some strange slipping when letting off pushing the clutch out and putting it back in but only when its the same gear.
NitroPT and JWHF25 like this.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Picked up a new motor!

Hope you do a great pictorial of your up coming adventure.

Ted aka Uptownsport is about the only one that I know of that has rebuilt a 2.4 using mostly stock or "sanded" clearance (lol) used parts. You might try to PM him if you have questions. Otherwise your experience is above most having to go this far with an engine on this forum anyway!

Engine parts upgrades give my a call, there is just to much to type and you can choose to post them if you use any of the suggestion I have. but I think we covered most of those by phone anyway?

Get to PT CRUISIN on that project and Good Luck!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Sep 2015, 12:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hope you do a great pictorial of your up coming adventure.

Ted aka Uptownsport is about the only one that I know of that has rebuilt a 2.4 using mostly stock or "sanded" clearance (lol) used parts. You might try to PM him if you have questions. Otherwise your experience is above most having to go this far with an engine on this forum anyway!

Thanks

Engine parts upgrades give my a call, there is just to much to type and you can choose to post them if you use any of the suggestion I have. but I think we covered most of those by phone anyway?

Get to PT CRUISIN on that project and Good Luck!!
Thanks! I probably should record the build as it may be good info for fellow forum members. Once I finally take the motor out of the back of the truck I'll start recording my little adventure. Its been sitting in the truck since last Friday haha, too many cars and projects to work on at the moment sadly. I need to stop helping friends out when I have a motor to build dang it!
Old 01 Sep 2015, 08:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Where do you live, man? I'd love to help with the engine rebuild. Been a loooooonnnngggg time since I did one.
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Where do you live, man? I'd love to help with the engine rebuild. Been a loooooonnnngggg time since I did one.

I get this kind of request often...but when they come over all that happens is and and then

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Sep 2015, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPurplePeopleEater View Post
Since my motor was found to have damaged rod bearings I can only imagine the havoc that was wrecked on my main bearings, turbo, and other internals with all the metal floating around in the oil. I had quite a few metal chunks come out of my filter without me even having to cut it open plus a few in my pickup tube. So I decided to replace my rod bearings as a bandaid and put the motor back together for now.

To top that off I stripped out my #1 spark plug hole in my head and had to helicoil it and I didn't do the greatest job on the helicoil.

So after causing and discovering some problems I went out and bought another motor!

Picked up a 2003 PT GT motor from the junkyard with 89k miles, around 150 psi compression for the cylinders, complete with the wiring harness, intake manifold, turbo/turbofold, all sensors, and the throttle body all for $686!

I thought I got a pretty good deal on it but what do you guys think? Is that a good price?

My intentions are to tear this motor down on a stand, do all new bearings, check the cylinder bore, hone the cylinders or bore over depending on measurements, new gaskets, new piston rings or new pistons (depending on whether I bore over or not), and throw the motor in my car. Probably a few other things here and there but that's the gist. Plus throw a new clutch in while I'm at it cause I've noticed some strange slipping when letting off pushing the clutch out and putting it back in but only when its the same gear.
With those miles I would do a belt and seal change one the front. Main seal in the rear. Check turbo and hoses for cokeing and excess side or end play. Change over any sensors that don't match your plugs. New valve cover gasket. Plugs and put that baby in there. That's good compression. Then you can play with the old engine. In the stand. Just what I would do. Yes that a great price for all that. I bought a dream 2 that they sold the compleat engine and transmission with all the accessories on the engine for $1200. Plus shipping to Australia. Engine had similar miles.
Gkon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 01 Sep 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 11:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

[QUOTE=NitroPT;582506]I get this kind of request often...but when they come over all that happens is and and then

Not with me, man. If I come over to your house to help you work on something, I go home smelling like a goat and looking like I fell into a grease pit. Of course, rebuilding an engine, I'd expect to go home fairly clean. Gotta keep it clean on the reassembly. All it takes is a scored main bearing or rod bearing to screw up a crank. That or an over looked pickup screen that didn't get clean! LOL
NitroPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well sir you are welcome to come by my place anytime and give a helping hand on any projects I happen to have going on at the time!!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Sep 2015, 03:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I get this kind of request often...but when they come over all that happens is and and then

I mastered doing the precision work first and leaving the non critical work for later. one night we strayed so far from engine work we actually installed a section of pergo/wood flooring to the garage with a stripper pole in the center. Following morning I tried to open the garage but couldn't. The pole was mounted to a stringer that prevented the door from opening. Made me fall over laughing
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
I mastered doing the precision work first and leaving the non critical work for later. one night we strayed so far from engine work we actually installed a section of pergo/wood flooring to the garage with a stripper pole in the center. Following morning I tried to open the garage but couldn't. The pole was mounted to a stringer that prevented the door from opening. Made me fall over laughing
Now that is wound tight! I don't or didn't used to get industrious when I threw a few back. But the stripper pole might have made a difference had one been a thought at the time?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com