PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My crash today,

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My crash today,

So I've had my PT Cruiser for 3 weeks now. It used to be my dad's who gave it to me to replace my junker car that I was driving. Sitting at a red light a lady decided not to even pay any attention and rammed into the back of us. She was going close to 35-40. We didnt even hear breaks squealing. Anyway Im unsure if it can even be fixed. Looks like a new hatch and rear bumper. I cant even mess with it to see if there was any damage to the inside were the latch is to hold it shut until the Insurance guys come look at it. I guess what im asking is has anyone come back from something like this. If it was the front end I wouldnt even think about fixing it.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: My crash today,

Did it pop your airbags? If so, then they'll probably total it. If not, it MIGHT be repairable. But, the cost of the repairs will probably exceed book value on it. Figure on a total loss. If it were me and they total it, I'd try to buy it back for scrap value and see if I could fix it and pocket the difference. If there's no frame damage or damage to the C-pillar areas, I don't see why you couldn't get the parts you need from a salvage yard. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No air bags deployed. As soon as the insurance people come look at it, I plan to see if there is any frame damage. While it doesnt look like it from the outside, it could still be on the inside. Right now its just a wait and see.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

depending where in illinois you are, i have a hatch and a bumper you can have. i have airbags as well. the hatch is silver though.

if the car still drives right and your dad is decent at beating metal back for the latch, could be a free repair where you can pocket some cash from insurance. since you were given the car to replace a beater, i assume that might be needed/appreciated.

my girlfriend took out a prius like that....because she was staring at an ant on the windshield
JWHF25 and Cashew like this.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
depending where in illinois you are, i have a hatch and a bumper you can have. i have airbags as well. the hatch is silver though.

if the car still drives right and your dad is decent at beating metal back for the latch, could be a free repair where you can pocket some cash from insurance. since you were given the car to replace a beater, i assume that might be needed/appreciated.

my girlfriend took out a prius like that....because she was staring at an ant on the windshield

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I give it an hour before my dad calls me. It really does seem ok. Actually it drove better since i needed to get an alignment on it. I would probably just fix it compared to getting another car with a bunch of problems. When we just spent $2k fixing everything up on this one for me.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Geez, I wonder what she'd do about the lizards hanging on to the windshield wipers here? LMAO
LionPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Chuzz is right relative to the air bags. Not withstanding, I see from the photo you also have some crumple damage to the back of the right rear quarter. The complete rear bumper assembly and cover along with the rear hatch took the brunt of the damage. Your spare tire mounted under neath probable absorbed a lot of the impact. It's the other driver's insurance that'll try to low ball you so get a good second opinion, possibly from a representative of your insurance or even a third opinion from a reliable shop you trust. Bottom line don't sign off on anything with out good advise. They should make you "whole". You were driving a complete undamaged car before this happened. How about "whip lash"? good luck, ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, If it can be fixed. I want it fixed. I don't even have the new car title yet for it. I have a couple auto body shops that im going to check with to see if they think it can be fixed. It still drives like a dream, I'm just over people looking at my car like it has a disease when its only been a couple hours since its happened. Oh I know how insurance company's work, I will go to court if I have to.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 04:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
here, it's documented: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-accident.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaLHS8 View Post
I give it an hour before my dad calls me. It really does seem ok. Actually it drove better since i needed to get an alignment on it. I would probably just fix it compared to getting another car with a bunch of problems. When we just spent $2k fixing everything up on this one for me.
^HAA

well if you want the parts they're yours. i need a reason to get this car out of my driveway. it's currently being used as my shed. you can have the metal that the latch attaches to as well. i'll chop it out the car wherever he wants. throw the free parts on, have maaco spray the hatch for a couple hundred and pocket the rest.
JWHF25, Cashew and Gkon like this.