PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't start and trans stuck

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2015, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't start and trans stuck

Ok guys I'm new to the forum I bough an 02 pt cruiser from a lady and in the ad it read 02 pt blah blah blah won't get out off park and starts with a jump ? She knew nothing about cars do I did some research and found these cars have a common problem with the brake light switch on the pedal, it also wouldn't get out of park and I read if u go to the first click on the key and then move the shifter it will move and that's what it did !!! Well I paid the lady and got the car home and charged the battery and nothing so i put a set of cables from my truck and nothing!!! won't start with or without a jump won't turn over I check to see if it had power to the battery and there is ,this thing refuses to turn over in park neutral nothing I have no clue why ? it has another door lock button thing that's separate and that's works the doors open and close does anyone know a trick to see what I can do to get it to start? Oh the brake lights work ?!!! And here is the big one that worries me I took the battery tray of and there is the cable that goes to the tranny hooked to their arm well that arm that hooked on to the rod that goes into the tranny is stuck tight it will not moved and it seems to be stuck in drive or NEutral looks expensive??? I thought that it should move freely looks like this car as sat for at least 6 months
Old 05 Sep 2015, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't start and trans stuck

There is a real chance that the car will not start due to the tranny shifter issue. The neutral safety switch is possibly not in the park or neutral position.

There is a possibility this is all due to a problem with the cable (shift interlock cable) that runs from the ignition switch to the auto shifter. I would remove the center console and the cover off of the shifter. Then I would inspect the locking mechanism from that cable. I might even fix it so it doesn't lock just to see if the shifter then works freely. And I would then see if the cable is moving the tranny lever normally under the hood. Understand that the problem may be at the ignition switch. But this will give you a clear view to see what is going on.

And since you are new, please understand that I am a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) guy like you. So the way I do things and what works for me may not work for everyone.

PS: The shifter that is the closest in this photo is what yours looks like. That little black lever down low on the side is where the shift interlock cable hooks in and keeps the shifter from moving:

Here's a photo of the same shifter with the covers in place. You don't have to remove the shifter to do this. After removing the center console, just remove the cobra head shifter knob by loosening the set screw on it and then the bolts that hold on the shifter cover.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2015 at 05:29 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2015, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So there is a neutral safely switch under the console I'll have to pull it apart I just put a screw driver at the starter and it turned the motor over but didn't start so at least I can rule out the starter as I said it didn't Fire just turned over
Old 05 Sep 2015, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The neutral safety switch is in the transmission. But the shift interlock cable has be disabled at the shifter as I described.

You see, if the lever on the transmission is not moving as you described, then the transmission is possibly stuck in a position other than neutral or park. In this case, the neutral safety switch will not let the starter turn.

And since you report that the ignition must be giggled (only partially turned) for the shifter to move, there's a chance that the shift interlock cable has the shifter in a bind. Disabling the shift interlock cable may allow the shifter to work normally and may allow the car to then start. It's worth a try. And even if this is the not the ultimate cause, you will then be able to see if the shift interlock cable is truly working as it should when the ignition is turned.

If this is not the problem and the shift interlock cable is working normally with the ignition switch, then the issue may be with the shifter cable going to the transmission or the transmission itself. However, these would not be affected by giggling the ignition switch as you described. So my money is on the shift interlock cable.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2015 at 06:16 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2015, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The leaver that's under the battery tray is divinely stuck I can't budge it I'm afraid if I tap it with a hammer it would break something the car rolls so I'm thinking its in gear or neutral and I can't tell by the position could it be possibly that if the neutral safely switch is in the tranny that as you said the problem with it starting might be as simple as it isn't in park ?also I noticed that the cable doesn't move when I play with the shifter but I notice if I push back on the shifter cable from the transmisson end as it's been discpnnected from the lever I can feel my son moving the shifter which makes me think someone has forced the shifter until the cable broke because the transmisson is stuck in gear and this is the reason it won't start
Old 05 Sep 2015, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay,

You might try taking the cable loose under the hood at the tranny lever. Then see if you can move the lever by hand. But be careful because the car may role when you do this if the parking brake is not set.

If you can move it by hand, try to find neutral or park and see if the car will start.

Old 05 Sep 2015, 09:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Do what Handy suggested and see what happens. If it were mine, I'd try all that and I'd also take the cable loose at the transmission and soak the hell out the pivot point on the trans with Kroil or some other type rust penetrator. I'd let it sit overnight and then GENTLY see if I could move it the next morning with some vise grips or some other type pliers.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Sep 2015, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That is the lever that won't turn I disconnected it and it won't budge it's like its jumped inside the tranny I've seen some pic and it looks like it goes through to under the valve body seams to me I have to remove the valve body to see if something is jamming it ?
Old 06 Sep 2015, 01:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well if the lever will not move with the cable unhooked, then you likely have your answer. Of course, this would not have been affected by the partial key turning you describe earlier.

I've done this before. If you remove the valve body, the shaft and internal linkage will come out with it. Basically, it's all right there on top of the valve body. And there is a good chance that the issue is right there. The way it's made, there is little that can go wrong deeper in the 41TE tranny that will keep the the selector shaft from turning.

But if you have never done this kind of the thing before, it may be worth it to take the PT to a good transmission shop that you trust. And trust is important. Most, and I mean most, transmission shops around here will just default to saying you need a complete transmission rebuild no matter the problem. Finding one that will actually diagnose and fix a minor problem can be hard to do.

Of course, these transmissions are also plentiful at salvage yards. The all 2001 and 2002 PT automatics use the same 41TE tranny. From 2003 and later, only the turbo models got the 41TE. The rest got the 40TE which is about the same but with less clutches in the clutch packs. And don't use one out of a car older than 2001. These transmission belong to the A604 "Ultradrive" family and many improvements were made over the years. So as a general rule, the older the Ultradrive, the more problematic they become.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Sep 2015 at 02:03 am.
Old 06 Sep 2015, 05:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

As a teen I worked at at transmission shop for six month pulling apart turbo 350s and 400 cleaning them and helping the TRANS guy to put them back together that's was many years ago but I've never took the pan off a 41te im gonna pull the pan off today but will I need to remove the valve body and if I do is there any thing that will fall out that's in there ?