Advertisements
2005 PT STALLING WHEN AT OPERATING TEMP AND MORE

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2015, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry 2005 PT STALLING WHEN AT OPERATING TEMP AND MORE

Ok folks this could be lengthy. Bought a 2005 PT for my daughter 133000 miles.

First issue was an overheating issue which we fixed by replacing the thermostat and fan relay.

2nd issue it developed a miss and we replaced the spark plugs and wires. Fixed that issue. at that time it had a code for misfire in cylinder 2.

Now it stalled on her at a stop sign and would not restart. Strong smell of oil and smoke from hot exhaust pipe under hood like oil was leaking on it. By the time I got to her about an hour later the car started up fine and seemed to run fine. drove it for 3 miles and bam it died at a stop light. When I tried to start it again it acted as if it was way out of time. My assumption was timing belt since I did not have service records on whether it had been done. Towed it home and the work began. Belt actually looked fine but I replaced it anyway. put it all back together including new crank sensor and cam sensor and it fired right up and ran great. Let it idle for about 10 minutes while I washed the grease off my hands and then took it for a test drive. 3 miles in bam it did the same thing. Stalled and then acted out of time and the oil smell again. It appeared that the oil leak got worse when it got up to operating temp after a few miles. I did research and all I could come up with was the Oil Sensor leaking. Replaced it. started and let idle for about 20 minutes. No oil underneath so I think I am good. Test drive and you guessed it 3 miles and it does it again. I have no idea where the oil can be coming from but it appears that it happens under pressure. Now it wont' start back at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06 Sep 2015, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT STALLING WHEN AT OPERATING TEMP AND MORE

Hard to diagnose without a scanner but check your fuel pressure if you can otherwise someone needs to scan with live data see what's going on. Only so many parts you can throw at it.

Mike
Old 06 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT STALLING WHEN AT OPERATING TEMP AND MORE

I would suggest checking to see if you have engine oil in the wiring harness going to the PCM. It has been known that the single wire from the leaking oil pressure sensor (sender) may be carrying the oil under pressure all the way to the PCM using the wire harness like a straw and causing problems with your PCM. With no diagnosis trouble codes coming up its a good possibility.
chuzz likes this.