Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise control install issues.....!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2015, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise control install issues.....!

So here is the thing: my car is partially prewired for cruise control.

I had the servo plug by my A/C lines and all the wires at the brake switch were in place without my meddling. Thinking my car was prewired, I went to the junk yard to get the cruise control parts (saved me 150 buck-a-roos!!!). Most of everything mounted properly.

Servo plugged up, mounted fine, and even the vacuum lines and canister were very straight forward. Fought with the airbag/horn/steering wheel cover, finally got it off and found out that no cruise control lever wiring was in place; in fact, of the 7 plug clockspring connector, only two slots were in use and those were for my horn.

I grabbed the clockspring from the junkyard as a "better safe then sorry" scenario, but I still turned out sorry in the fact that my clockspring is different then the one I bought, even though the one I bought came off a 2006 (same year as mine). Would it be easier to go to a non-self-service junkyard and buy a proper clockspring or just wire in the switch using the control lever "harness" into my clockspring?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise control install issues.....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude13450 View Post
I grabbed the clockspring from the junkyard as a "better safe then sorry" scenario, but I still turned out sorry in the fact that my clockspring is different then the one I bought, even though the one I bought came off a 2006 (same year as mine). Would it be easier to go to a non-self-service junkyard and buy a proper clockspring or just wire in the switch using the control lever "harness" into my clockspring?
When you check to make sure both PT Cruisers are the same year do you check the date of manufacture on the drivers side door?
chuzz likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
When you check to make sure both PT Cruisers are the same year do you check the date of manufacture on the drivers side door?
No, I did not. I will make sure to do that tomorrow.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

2006 was split into 2 years...before 10/31/05 & after.
I fit into the before part which makes some parts a little harder to find.
I believe that they made some harness & other electrical changes after 10/31/05.
ptcruisersteve and chuzz like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
2006 was split into 2 years...before 10/31/05 & after.
I fit into the before part which makes some parts a little harder to find.
I believe that they made some harness & other electrical changes after 10/31/05.
Well my car has the oddball fuse box so maybe mine is a post-10/31/05?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I'm looking at potentially just cutting the speed control lever's "harness" off the old, incorrect-for-my-car clockspring. I understand that the red/green wire goes into the number six spot on the 7 pin clockspring connector? Where do I run the black/green wire to do I just run it to ground on a random steering wheel screw or is there a specific spot on the clockspring connector that is supposed to go into?

Also, how do I get the little locking wedges/connectors that hold the wire into the plug?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 06:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Well my car has the oddball fuse box so maybe mine is a post-10/31/05?

What oddball fuse box, where is it located..??

Old 22 Sep 2015, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
What oddball fuse box, where is it located..??
The one that is under-hood behind the battery underneath the airbox. For the 2006+ models, there was no under- or in- dash fuse box. Instead of having a formal fuse for everything (i.e. a fuse for windshield wipers, a fuse for the fuel injection system, a fuse for the headlights) and using around 30 fuses, these model years had switched to around 8 fuses for EVERYTHING which are not clearly labeled so unless you have an actual repair manual that most automotive shops use (not Chilton's, the $100+ versions), you have no idea what fuse to check for whatever.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 10:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
The one that is under-hood behind the battery underneath the airbox. For the 2006+ models, there was no under- or in- dash fuse box. Instead of having a formal fuse for everything (i.e. a fuse for windshield wipers, a fuse for the fuel injection system, a fuse for the headlights) and using around 30 fuses, these model years had switched to around 8 fuses for EVERYTHING which are not clearly labeled so unless you have an actual repair manual that most automotive shops use (not Chilton's, the $100+ versions), you have no idea what fuse to check for whatever.

Ok, just making sure you didn't have a fuse box inside, it's happened before where a user wasn't sure what year their car was.

Old 22 Sep 2015, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I found out my issue. I didn't need a different clockspring, I simply needed the horn harness and button strip from a car with cruise control. Got that today, switched out, installed wheel and attempted to go for a test drive.

Cruise control did work....for all but 2 seconds before the contacts in the clockspring broke. UGH! Now I have an airbag light, no horn, and no cruise control. Time to tear that steering wheel apart again!