Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
These shop prices seem ok for the work?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2015, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default These shop prices seem ok for the work?

Outer tie rod + wheel alignment. I forget exactly what the mechanic said other then if I hit a pot hole I could lose my steering. lol

Right front hub and bearing. This wouldn't cause any suspension sounds would it? I had the control arms replaced recently. They felt good for the 1st month but now seem to be clunking a little again. The mechanic glanced at them and said they look fine.

Old 22 Sep 2015, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: These shop prices seem ok for the work?

The top quote looks okay if $83.99 is the standard cost for an hour of shop time in your area. You will pay list price for the parts which is customary. And the price for the alignment seems about 25% more than here. But if shop labor is $83.99, then the alignment quote is likely in line too.

On the second quote, they've quoted to replace both hub and bearing. I'm not sure why they believe the hub needs to be replaced. And even if they do, why will that job take 3 hours? Using a new hub will save a little labor time. And a shop setup to do this work could likely complete it in two hours with plenty of time to spare. Of course, the 3 hour quote may come out of the book.

In summary, this looks okay except you may be getting a new hub and extra hour of labor you don't really need. But no one can determine that over the internet and without seeing the car. To make sure this quote is fair, you might get a second quote from another local shop and compare.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 09:32 am
Banned

Both quotes seem in line with what I have experienced. The price for the alignment, if it is a 4-wheel which it should be, is actually a little lower than in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, which generally runs $79-$99. As for replacement of the hub and bearing, I note that they are listing MOPAR part numbers, which dealer parts are generally higher than aftermarket. I had NAPA hubs and bearings installed on my PT, which I provided and could get them for about half the price of MOPAR parts, and they have a lifetime warranty. They probably want to replace the hub and bearing as a unit, rather than spending the time to remove the old bearing from the old hub and pressing in a new bearing, which is extra labor. If they use both new, they only have to press in the new bearing and install.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 01:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

List price. Ever wonder what that is?
Auto parts store receipt often shows "List Price" then "Your Price" on their invoices. This is so you feel good about saving so much as List is often 30-40% higher than Your Price.
There are several levels in the pricing of parts from the auto parts stores.
Auto parts stores are supplied by their chain warehouses or group warehouses if independents. That is the stores Cost. The stores sell parts to services garages and dealers at a couple of levels of discount based on volume. That is Wholesale.
The stores sell parts to individuals at Retail price.
Now when the individual goes to the service garage the price is List Price as explained above. If you bring your own parts the garage will not warrantee the parts or labor. The difference between Retail and List is the price you pay for warrantee of labor, right? Wrong, if the part fails and is waranteed, you still pay the labor to remove and replace it.
The difference in price is simply additional profit.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

Back in the day, we had list prices and then we had three sets of "other" prices. Gold with the highest, white was in the middle, and green was the lower. Normally, the shops and your best customers got the "green sheet" price. There was also a "blue sheet" which with the jobber price that the store paid. If you owned a business that stocked parts for your equipment, you could sometime fool a distributor into giving you blue sheet pricing since you had your own "parts store". We got nuts and bolts, and big truck brake parts like this. It made some of the local parts stores hopping mad.

PS: The list price is really designed to cover the cost of the shop to go get the parts and to help in warrantying the work should a part fail. You can say its extra profit for the shop. But that profit on parts markup is already figured into the shop's hourly rate. And without the list price, the hour rates of many shops would go up. So it all works out if you use an honest shop to begin with.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Sep 2015 at 03:03 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 04:25 pm
Banned

I've said this before in other posts regarding repairs, but what I have experienced is that generally if the shop supplies the parts, their prices are generally twice what the retail price would be if the customer would go buy the parts themselves. This "double" in price is because the shop provides a warranty on their work. Some shops won't let a customer supply their own parts. I have used some shops that will allow me to purchase the parts and they supply the labor. Under those circumstances, I am fully aware that they are not providing any warranty on any parts that I supply, however, those shops do warrant their labor, and that's generally 12 months/12,000 miles. If I provide the parts, I try to get the best that I can afford as I would rather spend a few more dollars now than buy something cheap and have to have the work redone sooner than if better quality parts are used now.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: These shop prices seem ok for the work?

I just paid $84.99 for an allignment at Hibdon Tire, my go to guys.
They repair all my flats free.
Recharge my Nitrogen free.
I just didn't have a coupon that was in date, and wanted it done and forgotten.
Otherwise, it woud have been lower.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 23 Sep 2015, 06:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Friends mechanic is only going to charge $100 for the labor. I'll have to get him a case of beer. lol Not sure how much parts will be. I also need a motor mount. Is that hard to do? Hopefully get it all done later today.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew55 View Post
Friends mechanic is only going to charge $100 for the labor. I'll have to get him a case of beer. lol Not sure how much parts will be. I also need a motor mount. Is that hard to do? Hopefully get it all done later today.
Which motor mount needs replacing?
Old 23 Sep 2015, 09:54 am
Regular Cruiser

If all this is for clunking, try replacing the front sway bar bushings and end links. This fixed clunking for both my PT's.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family