PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any Math Genius' Here?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2015, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Any Math Genius' Here?

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes of my pretzels will fit into my PT cruiser. I was never all that great at algebra or calculus or geometry before I had two brain surgeries, but really suck at math now. Anyway, I read somewhere that the PT has 120 cubic feet of space with the seats removed from the rear. My boxes are 16" long, 10.5" wide and 4.5" tall. Can anyone tell me approximately how many boxes I can get inside the PT, including the front passenger area? I had 76 in there today and still had enough room for (I THINK) another 30 to 34 boxes for a total of around 110. Don't mess with me and tell me how to calculate it. I've tried everything I can find on the www and come up with 274. I know that's impossible, so I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is. If you can help, thank you. If not, then please don't try. I'm trying to avoid having to rent a truck to go pick up my shipment. Money is very tight right now and every penny counts.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 24 Sep 2015 at 03:11 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 03:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Any Math Genius' Here?

Depending on distance, you could make 2 trips. I would just to eliminate the math headache.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 03:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i would do a large imaginary rectangular cube to take up the main empty area of the car, figure out how many fit inside it, and then guestimate how many would fit around it in the various areas the rectangle left unaccounted for. this to me is easier and more realistic.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 03:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Two trips are out of the question as it's a 200 mile round trip. I guess I'll just try Robs method. At least I know I'm not the only one here that isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 04:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you're good with computers, i often use corel draw to figure out how to minimize waste when cutting materials. it is possible to scale pictures of the car to pictures of the boxes. figure 1 like this illustration and one from the side. then row by row do the math.

worst case scenario... plan ahead:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (20.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (48.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 24 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are not crazy.

Each pretzel box is about 0.4375 cubic feet. Maximum cargo area is reported to 62.7 cubic feet without the back seat. If the boxes would pack evenly, you could likely get somewhere around 140 boxes in the cargo area give or take.

If you use the front passenger seat, you can likely get many more. Of course, if the boxes come in bundles or are together in larger boxes, then the over all number you can carry will be reduce quite a bit. If boxes are loose and stack fairly evenly, I'd plan on no more than 140 on my first trip. And then based on how they pack in the car, you might be able to increase your estimate if you need to make this run again in the future.
quicksilverdon and Gkon like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Sep 2015 at 04:43 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Will you need to see out the rear view mirror??? (I think that might be ticket-able in some jurisdictions...)
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and what you can't pack, you can always.....

rob342 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Will you need to see out the rear view mirror??? (I think that might be ticket-able in some jurisdictions...)
I think that went away when they started putting mirrors on both sides of a vehicle.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You are not crazy.

Each pretzel box is about 0.4375 cubic feet. Maximum cargo area is reported to 62.7 cubic feet without the back seat. If the boxes would pack evenly, you could likely get somewhere around 140 boxes in the cargo area give or take.

If you use the front passenger seat, you can likely get many more. Of course, if the boxes come in bundles or are together in larger boxes, then the over all number you can carry will be reduce quite a bit. If boxes are loose and stack fairly evenly, I'd plan on no more than 140 on my first trip. And then based on how they pack in the car, you might be able to increase your estimate if you need to make this run again in the future.
I agree with your calculations.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles