Advertisements
Picking up my PT from the body shop today

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2015, 06:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Picking up my PT from the body shop today

Today's the day. My PT is ready.

To recap, my PT was hit while parked in the lot of a local store on Labor Day morning while I was in the store shopping. The woman who hit me was kind enough to leave her name and phone #.

There was damage to the driver's side door, front fender and the mirror housing was broken off its base. Nothing horrific, but it still sucked.

After a few phone calls, her insurance company has covered the cost of all repairs and the rental of a car while mine was getting fixed (I opted for a Prius Hybrid as I had a lot of driving to do and wanted something with excellent fuel economy).

My PT was ready last week but, when fixing the door, my autoventshade rain guard broke as they tried to remove it, so I'm getting a whole new set, front and rear. They were on backorder. They came in yesterday. I'm picking up the car this morning. I was so excited that I woke up at 5am. I'm not leaving to pick it up till 10am.

The shop that did the work is owned by the brother-in-law of my childhood friend. He has a great rep. I trust that all will be well (although I have a feeling that they replaced my rain guards with a different brand than autoventshade. We shall see).

The only thing is they told me that my battery kept dying and had to be charged while the car was there. I find that strange as I never had an issue with the battery. When I bought the car 3+ months ago, I had to give it a charge as it was low, but it never caused any problems. I wonder what is going on. It was purchased earlier this year by the previous owner. I'll see if it's still under warranty.

I wonder. I had recently repaired the MFS so that my foglights work. I had done the fix just a few days prior to being hit, so didn't have time to make sure that all was well over time.

I also wonder perhaps they were shutting the car off and turning the key to the accessory position? Strange. I'm not in a position right now to replace the battery. We shall see.

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm mostly thinking (typing) out loud and loopy from lack of sleep.

Last edited by Gkon; 25 Sep 2015 at 07:07 am.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 10:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Picking up my PT from the body shop today

At the shop.
They installed the wrong mirror. Mine folds, is heated and electric adjust. This one is only electric adjust; doesn't fold and not heated.

They installed the right brand but wrong model of rain guard. The driver's sjde passenger one is crooked. I dont like the look of them at all. Also, they scratched the pillars as they removed the old ones.

The door and fender repair are pretty good but not 100%. The paint and fender look good, but you can see a slight ripple in the door near the spear. That's really not so bad and I can live with it.

I am now waiting to see what they're going to do to fix the problems.

Just so happens my friend is not here due to shoulder surgery. Seems things fell through the cracks now that he's not here.

Im pretty pissed off right now.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

The heated folding mirror is pretty hard to find these days...used/junkyard part only.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The heated folding mirror is pretty hard to find these days...used/junkyard part only.
thats probably where they got that one I don't like it if my work shows. I don't want someone with an untrained eye to be able to tell what was done. Other than maybe the paint being to shinny or something like that whitch is out of my control. Reputations are in the eyes of the beholder. Stick to your guns. Will be better for all if more people did.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't sign off on it if your not happy...
IT should be returned to you as it was before the accident
No imperfections. ...
If your not happy now you never will be..

Old 25 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the info and support evrybody.

Update:
We got the correct mirror off of an '05 from the salvage yard.
It's in good to very good shape. Thing is, mine was in excellent shape. I think this is as good as it's going to get regarding the mirror. Crappy thing is I told them to keep my old parts. I may have been able to swap out the actual mirror as this one looks scratched. Thing is...they threw out my mirror. What can I say.

Regarding the rain guards, I called Lund who is the distributor (manufacturer?) of the auto ventshade product. They clarified that what I have installed is the updated version of what I had. Same part #, but a different look. I'm fine with that. I have to.ask, though, why was it up to ME to call Lund to figure that out?

They did straighten out the crooked one. Still want to see what they're going to do about the scratches on the pillars...

What gets me overall is the general lack of attention to detail, and also the attempts to make excuses as to why things were done incorrectly. This seems to be the norm at most places.
When I had my motorcycle shop, I treated every bike like it was my own. I babied everyone's vehicles.
MJKnight likes this.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 01:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like a half-assed bunch there. Don't ever give them any business again and don't recommend them to anyone.
MJKnight and Gkon like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Finally back home. After getting there at 11am. It's not 3:52pm. It's a 1 hour drive, so I was there from 11-3 (roughly). Jeez.

Yeah, I'm very surprised all in all with their lack of attention to detail.
The woman at the front desk was as upset as I was. She let them all have it.
She let me know that basically it's the workers just not listening to instructions and doing whatever they want.

So, like I mentioned earlier, the rain guards were sorted out. But the little F'er that installed them and then re-positioned them has never heard of a plastic trim stick because he basically scratched everything he touched. AND he copped an attitude.

The mirror they installed worked out fine. After cleaning it up it looks good.

They touched up the scratches on the black pillars, but, in the end, they're F'd up because they are deep scratches, so the pillars aren't smooth anymore. They're small scratches, but they're there now, and they weren't there before.

The body work looks good. Hooray for small miracles (tongue in cheek).

When my friend, who's shop it is, gets back from recovering from shoulder surgery, he's definitely going to hear in minute detail exactly what happened and exactly what I think of the whole situation.

I can only imagine how this all would have gone down if they weren't my friends. I figured they'd give it more attention than a stranger. Nope.

Thanks again to all for your support and input.

Let the good times roll!
Old 25 Sep 2015, 03:28 pm
Banned

Sorry your PT didn't turn out like you had hoped for. But they are like any other shop in that they are working on a fixed budget for the repairs and the more time they spend on any persons car, the less they make on the job. But that still doesn't explain any sloppy workmanship, as anyone doing any kind of competent job and it should be expected, that it would be a good quality job, with no errors or mistakes, done right the first time and if done right the first time, you don't waste any time redoing it. In your case, it may have been better to go to a shop where you didn't have a friend involved, that way there won't be any expectations that your friend could have or would have any influence on the repairs. If you get what I am trying to say? It's kind of like you shouldn't sell a used car to a friend or relative, because if anything goes wrong with the car, there is bound to be nothing but problems in the future which could put a strain on the relationship. It's just plain simple, the repairs should have been done right, that should be the least that any shop should do. That's also why I couldn't own any kind of service business as I wouldn't make any money because I spend twice as long doing any job, because I take my time and I'm too picky. As far as the rain guards, since they were replacing all of them, I would have gotten the kind that mount in the channel and not on the surface.

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Sep 2015 at 04:02 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Sorry your PT didn't turn out like you had hoped for. But they are like any other shop in that they are working on a fixed budget for the repairs and the more time they spend on any persons car, the less they make on the job. But that still doesn't explain any sloppy workmanship, as anyone doing any kind of competent job and it should be expected, that it would be a good quality job, with no errors or mistakes, done right the first time and if done right the first time, you don't waste any time redoing it. In your case, it may have been better to go to a shop where you didn't have a friend involved, that way there won't be any expectations that your friend could have or would have any influence on the repairs. If you get what I am trying to say? It's kind of like you shouldn't sell a used car to a friend or relative, because if anything goes wrong with the car, there is bound to be nothing but problems in the future which could put a strain on the relationship. It's just plain simple, the repairs should have been done right, that should be the least that any shop should do. That's also why I couldn't own any kind of service business as I wouldn't make any money because I spend twice as long doing any job, because I take my time and I'm too picky. As far as the rain guards, since they were replacing all of them, I would have gotten the kind that mount in the channel and not on the surface.
I don't know rckstein. Maybe yes, maybe no. Who's to say?

I had gone to one other shop before going to my friends' and they were jerks who couldn't give a crap about anything. I'm sure that when they did a crappy job (which was evident from what they were telling me and how they were saying it) they would not have taken the time to make it right.

At the very least, the people at my friend's shop took the time to rectify the situation, and apologized about the mistakes. That, at least, counts for something. I'm just surprised that it happened at all. I'll get over it.

As far as the rain guards go, honestly, I like this style better than the in-channel ones. Call me a curmudgeon, but I do.