Advertisements
How Do You Get The Timing Cover Off

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default How Do You Get The Timing Cover Off

Okay, I found two bolts in the timing cover and I'm guessing there's a third one on the back side of the engine, towards the firewall. I'm pretty sure this timing belt has been changed, because there are two yellow grease pen marks on the cover where that cursed back bolt is (?) and the center bolt above the inspection hole. I removed #1 plug and got the piston to TDC and couldn't see diddly through that frigging hole. Rotated the crank 180 and still can't see diddly through that frigging hole. So, I decide to remove the two bolts holding the top engine mount there in front of the timing cover. BIG MISTAKE. the damn engine shifted on me even though I had it supported and it took me a half hour to get the holes lined back up and the bolts back in. Surely there's a better way to get that timing cover off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as the inspection hole is a complete waste of space. You can't get down low enough to see inside it for the cam marks. Crap!!! I forgot to use the mirror method. I'll do that in a little while. Too busy being pissed off at myself right now.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How Do You Get The Timing Cover Off

when i took my upper timing belt cover off, i took the little bolts out and then pulled. it broke the lower rear edge/lip of the upper piece, but you can't tell with it bolted on. i was happy i did it as now it goes on and off easily.

it's not right, but it works for me (:

the paint pen marks were recently described in another thread and were determined to be marks by inspectors at the factory. timing belts come with stickers that affix to the timing cover. mine was 2" x 3" and yellow. it included an area to fill in the date and mileage.

Last edited by rob342; 28 Sep 2015 at 10:02 am.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:13 am
Banned

Default Re: How Do You Get The Timing Cover Off

I wish they had made the inspection hole oblong with a plug that then coverd the hole, because to verify the timing marks, you also need to see the writing on the sprockets, which you can't see through the small round hole. The rear bolt holding the plastic cover is down on the back side, above the alternator. The head will be facing towards the fender, rather than into the engine bay. You will just have to feel for it and you can get a socket on it, once loose, you can get it out with your fingers. The cover can be kind of hard to take off as in the middle, between the sprockets, there is a plastic standoff or peg which supports the middle of the cover, be careful you don't break that off trying to remove the cover. But I was able to remove mine by working it towards the firewall and out that way. Also, since you've loosened the mount and the engine has moved, once everything is back together, you should do the strut adjustment procedure to make sure that you have the struts properly adjusted and preloaded. Good luck.

In the above pic, it is the one circled in red that you're trying to get out.

Last edited by rckstein; 28 Sep 2015 at 09:44 am.