Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No error codes but Trac off light on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2015, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No error codes but Trac off light on?

I recently purchased a 2001 PT Cruiser very cheap I know these are what can be described as a marmite car you either love em or hate em well I love em just never able to afford one anyway to cut a long story short I bought even though engine management lights were on as it was so cheap I'm of an engineering background so mechanics is not a problem I plugged in diagnostic unit found a fault with clutch circuit B so by passed clutch switch with jumper as money is tight and in uk having some American safety switch here In uk is pointless as we all drive manual cars here anyway cleared that code and the engine management light is gone now but now I have track off light on the dash but only code in the in car is a 1846 battery disconnect error which won't clear till I do 50 engine starts anyone have any idea what is causing the trac off light erro on the dash I've tried googling it but keep getting links to ABS problems and trac off light error together I don't have abs light on or any other error codes I only have trac off light illuminated no other problems
Old 28 Sep 2015, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No error codes but Trac off light on?

These are cheap too...

;

-

Old 29 Sep 2015, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

"having some American safety switch here In uk is pointless as we all drive manual cars here"

I beg to differ, 'I' being from the UK and driving an Automatic and there are many more like me.

As for the trac off error? How do you know it is an error? The light tends to come on if the trac switch has been pressed on the 2001 pt cruiser. Centre dash under radio by the heater switch.

Old 29 Sep 2015, 11:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:55 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Your clutch switch bypass must be the cause of the TRAC light on condition.

I can not explain how. Think of it this way; the PCM is getting contradictory signals, thinking the clutch is depressed and knowing from the anti-lock brake controller, that the vehicle is in motion. The PCM thus sets the instrument panel TRAC light.

The shop manual says:
"...The traction control function indicator illuminates during a traction control cycle, displaying TRAC on the instrument panel.
The traction control system is enabled at each ignition cycle. It may be turned off by depressing the traction control switch button. The traction control function indicator (TRAC OFF) illuminates immediately upon depressing the button. Pressing this button again or turning off and restarting the vehicle
will enable the traction control system.
If the CAB calculates that the brake temperatures are high, the traction control system becomes inoperative until a time-out period has elapsed. During this “thermo-protection mode,” the traction control function indicator illuminates TRAC OFF; note that no trouble code is registered.
I was just thinking that the jumper might have something to do with it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com