Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tried to get fobs programmed - bad RKE :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2015, 03:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Tried to get fobs programmed - bad RKE :(

Went to the dealer to get key fobs programmed on the 'new to me' 2001 PT (original owner lost both).

After a long wait was told they can't program them, VTSS module (aka RKE) won't go into programming mode.

Tech said he's never run into that before. He's communicating with the module but it won't go into programming mode.

I swapped the original PCM back in but got the same results (gave it a try though the tech said the RKE is on a different communication bus.)

$200 for a new RKE, $160 to change - no thank you.

Tech was cool - confirmed I could get a used RKE and he could program it. (they're not locked like the SKIM)

Anyone else have an RKE go bad or could not be programmed?
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 29 Sep 2015, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tried to get fobs programmed - bad RKE :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude View Post
Went to the dealer to get key fobs programmed on the 'new to me' 2001 PT (original owner lost both).

After a long wait was told they can't program them, VTSS module (aka RKE) won't go into programming mode.

Tech said he's never run into that before. He's communicating with the module but it won't go into programming mode.

I swapped the original PCM back in but got the same results (gave it a try though the tech said the RKE is on a different communication bus.)

$200 for a new RKE, $160 to change - no thank you.

Tech was cool - confirmed I could get a used RKE and he could program it. (they're not locked like the SKIM)

Anyone else have an RKE go bad or could not be programmed?
All you need do is get you a used one with one of its original fobs and for get the dealer program. If you do want to search you bone yards for one. Look in the for sale section a bs a member here is selling them tested with a fob. You can then add more fobs yourself. he goes by Mychee Hope I'm spelling this right.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Sep 2015, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Keyless Entry Module + Remote Fob

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 Sep 2015, 10:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
All you need do is get you a used one with one of its original fobs and for get the dealer program. If you do want to search you bone yards for one. Look in the for sale section a bs a member here is selling them tested with a fob. You can then add more fobs yourself. he goes by Mychee Hope I'm spelling this right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Thanks to both of you! Now I don't have to go find a used one AND pay the dealer again. I just sent him a PM
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family