Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By wb2kki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Cruiser Erratic gauges /Cluster

Hey everyone,

So here I am again after the fun with the timing belt lol BTW the 1st repair shop is giving me a refund for the repair because I was able to prove that they damaged the center bolt and mount by cutting it.
Anyway I changed the PCM out last month because the cluster lights & gauges were bouncing everywhere. That worked for a couple of weeks however it returned so I cleaned the positive cable /negative cable it worked again for about 1 week and the started again.

I took the car into my mechanic on Wednesday, he ran the diagnostics with the engine running I cannot recall the exact code at the moment but he said there is a communication fault between the PCM and Cluster.
I drove the car home but now the turn signals and wipers stopped working. This is really starting to become frustrating to say the least....I know that a lot of owners are having the same issues. I am going to start with the cables because they have never been changed. Oh and also this car belongs to a family member ( I just thought I would mention that )

Something else that confuses me, I called a repair shop regarding the cables and was told 1. They are very expensive 2. They should never need replacement. Is this true? I was also going to change the ignition switch however I don't want to keep putting money into it and not fix the problem.:bang-wall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt cruiser.jpg (79.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mystynm; 30 Sep 2015 at 10:00 am.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Cruiser Erratic gauges /Cluster

You might try reseating the connectors on the PCM again. Also check the conections on the cables both ends not just at the battery. Any grounds you find on the body on the drivers side behind the air box. Next the connector on the back of the speedo might need unplugged and reseated. Just some stuff that might help. The plug on the steering column might be chared under the upper cover. Some of that goes through that Circuit.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Sep 2015, 10:24 am
Banned

The battery cables, can and do wear out. My PT is on it's third set since I bought it new, almost 10 years ago now. What I have seen happen is that the positive cable end just errodes away (pics below) which then decreases the amount of connection that it has.

But here is what you want for a replacement set:

06 10 Chrysler PT CRUISER2 4L Nonturbo Battery Cable Harness POS NEG Mopar | eBay
bob2006 likes this.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the suggestions!
The positive cable end does appear to be corroded I will also reset the PCM.
Old 01 Oct 2015, 08:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds more like the TIPM to my untrained eye.

Find something simple not working like the wipers or lights and trouble shoot that. Finding that may fix all the problems. Got to find a good mechanic that is good with electronics.

Had a very weird problem with my Jeep Liberty and it turned out to be corrosion inn a 84 pin connector under the dash.

Good Luck feel your pain. Had a similar problem turn out to be the ign switch.

Mike
JWHF25 likes this.