PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did Chrysler have chrome and painted rims for 2001?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Did Chrysler have chrome and painted rims for 2001?

Per my signature, we now own 2 PT cruisers. The original, ordered and waited 2-3 months for, and now another 2001 for the daughter as her first car.

So our 2 qty 2001's are very similar, but there are differences:

The 2nd one has 4 window switches up front, but also silver painted rims.

I know about the mid-year change with the window switches, but the painted silver rims? (same style as the first PT). Did it come that way from the factory?
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 01 Oct 2015, 06:35 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Did Chrysler have chrome and painted rims for 2001?

My 2001 has factory silver painted aluminum wheels that came as part of the touring edition package.

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Old 01 Oct 2015, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaupeCruiser View Post
My 2001 has factory silver painted aluminum wheels that came as part of the touring edition package.
Yes like said above they did. Not sure if the painted ones were carried over past that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Oct 2015, 03:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies!
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

Old 01 Oct 2015, 04:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup silver painted or chrome plated was available.

I specifically ordered mine with the silver painted wheels. There was an option package that included chrome wheels, chrome exhaust tip and a few other things that I didn't want.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 01 Oct 2015, 06:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

yup mines painted also

Old 03 Oct 2015, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mine were painted silver ones too. not so sure if they were aluminium ones as claimed though, they rusted to death like they were really steel wheels.

Old 03 Oct 2015, 08:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From our scrounging in junkyards I'm guessing that there were many wheels for PTs made with painted and plated finishes. I haven't seen any 03-up 17" painted wheels, however the five spoke 02 Dream wheels were plated on the Dreams and I guess offered painted as an optional wheel later on. My son just got me a pair of painted hubcaps for those wheels. I've seen the six spoke wheels in both finishes too, as well as several styles of five spokes early wheels in both as well.
Interesting...
Old 03 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Our original 2001 with chrome wheels, the chrome is peeling off really bad on the inside surface. Knock on wood, chrome is intact where the tire seals against. No pressure loss yet.

Good to know there are factory painted one available if these chrome wheels start leaking.