PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Prospecting owner

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile New Prospecting owner

Hello fellow car enthusiasts! I just wanted to get some opinions on my situation to make sure I get some clear headed guidance into what I'm getting myself into.

In the past I've owned 3 Neon SRT-4's so I know a little about wrenching on the turbo'd 2.4's. I've rebuilt their engines a few times, swapped turbos, added go fast parts, etc. etc. That was years ago, and since then I've moved on to RWD V8's. Basically what I'm looking for here is a cheap and reliable DD.

Here's the story... There was a semi-elderly couple that lived down the road from me, and every time I saw them I'd say "Hello Sir/Ma'am" and strike up a little small talk. They owned 3 vehicles, one of them a 02 PT Cruiser. One day he told me that he was being forced to move out by the owners, since they had sold the place from under them. I told him if he needed any help to give me a call and I'd be there the best I could. Fast forward to after I helped him move...

He told me he was selling the PT for dirt cheap since he and his wife already had their own two cars (08 Charger / 10 Carola). I asked how much, and he told me to throw out an offer. Naturally I was thinking something as close to ZERO dollars as possible since he said dirt cheap. However we came to agree on 400 dollars.

The PT is an 02 with 89k original miles on it. Non turbo. It has a bunch of mix-matched colored panels on the body from different PT's. It was stolen a few years ago and had its doors, hood, front fenders, headlights, taillights, radio, and seats removed for parts (California...). Anyway they found the car and he showed me photos he'd taken of it at the tow yard, everything like he said had happened. They left the engine and tranny (although they did try to take the air filer?) The photos were in the glove box of the car. He bought the car back from insurance and replaced all the missing parts (He worked at a junk yard at the time). He had an alarm and door lock system installed on the car since his car key now only works for the start and operation of the car, and NOT the doors (since they're from a different car).

Here's where I'm a little worried. The car was in limp mode (second gear?) with P0700 and P0755. It started the day I helped him move. Searching here I found out how to test the 2-4 shift solenoid. I went over to his house yesterday and tried to test it w/o removing the battery since there were members who said removing the battery had cleared their faults, however I had no choice since the module is RIGHT under the battery. I searched for the .5-9 ohms and was getting 1.5ish so I figured it was good, and that the problem may be the TCM. Once we replaced everything the CEL was gone and the car drove normally (as I figured it might have).

I personally tend to stay away from newer automatics, both because I enjoy driving stick- and for issues like this. Just something else to worry about along with whatever's going on with the engine. I can afford to replace the TCM or Shift module- what I cant afford to do is replace the tranny as I don't have the time or space anymore. If I add this vehicle to my fleet will I end up regretting it?

Also- I've searched, but if anyone knows any good threads on the transmission codes, something I can read up on to help me solve the issue, please let me know. The ones I found were from 2010. Thanks in advance all.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Prospecting owner

Um...Welcome to the PT Cruiser forum?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Oct 2015, 05:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Yea. Thanks

lol
Old 02 Oct 2015, 06:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1Balto View Post
The PT is an 02 with 89k original miles on it. Non turbo. It has a bunch of mix-matched colored panels on the body from different PT's.
this is one of those new member threads that would be wAAAAAyyy better with pictures.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Your wanted to read up so here goes....

Chrysler Repair: code p0700 and p0755, solenoid pack, volt ohm meter

2003 PT Cruiser: My check engine light came on and jerked..p0700

P0700 trans control system malfunction p0755 shift silenoid b - Fixya

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3162201AAIvF7K

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 09:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks Crew, I greatly appreciate it. No one has made a sorta checklist or logic flow diagram for the notorious P0700 in the DIY section yet?

I know there are no photos of the car, but even for the price of 400 dollars- would this be a no brainer? It drove fine, nice and smooth. The engine sounded GREAT. No hesitation or stumble. The tranny jerked a little when shifting, so that is something that "might" be needed in the near future. I've read of people picking up trannies cheap and swapping them in.

I'll post photos the next time I cruise over to his house.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that is a generic transmission fault code code BTW....that means that any trouble could apply none specific.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. There are some pretty sharp dudes here. I'm not one of them. I'm just an old fart that loves cars. Mopars in particular.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 11:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
that is a generic transmission fault code code BTW....that means that any trouble could apply none specific.
Right... I understood as much.

Even still, with the amount of people who have had this issue and who have gone and tried to solve it, I'd image there should've been some type of pattern seen by now. The links posted above would be a great start for those in the future. I will see what else I can dig up. Thank you all.
JWHF25 likes this.

Last edited by Only1Balto; 02 Oct 2015 at 11:30 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 08:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Well today I took the plunge and forked over the 400 dollars. On the way over to the DMV while my girlfriend was driving "excitedly" for her new car, the transmission warmed up and kicked down to 2nd and the car threw a CEL. I didn't get a chance to read it, but I was pretty certain what it was. Before that though, the transmission shifted nice and smooth. No hesitation or anything. So I don't think it has to do with the transmission itself.

I disconnected the battery and went inside to do the paperwork. About thirty minutes later we came out, plugged the battery back up- and the CEL was gone and we had the full range of gears. I told her to drive it carefully to the SMOG check place (I was pretty sure it wasn't going to pass, but the old man wanted to see), and sure enough none of the monitors were ready, and although the CEL wasn't on and the car wasn't in limp mode, the PCM still showed the 2/4 shift solenoid code.

So we drove the car back to his place, and I sent him the link on Parts Geek to order the new Transmission Solenoid. Its on its way- so hopefully before the end of this weekend the Cruiser should be up and running and ready to smog.

When I look at everything- I've bought a working car with 89k miles on the clock for 400 dollars (Less since he's paid for the parts and smog). Despite the different colored panels, I'm happy to have added it to my stable.