PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt - Parts Needed

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2015, 12:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing Belt - Parts Needed

One of my belts is chirping. Not sure which one but it got me thinking about the timing belt which I don't believe has ever been changed. I bought it with 54,000 miles on it and doubt it was done at that time. I'm now at 103K and probably on borrowed time.

I do not plan on doing the job myself. I want to be prepared when talking with a shop. Elsewhere I've read that I should also have the water pump replaced. What I'd like to know is what I'd need as far as a complete parts lists so I can make sure I'm getting it all done.

What should I have the shop replace while they're in there:
1. Timing Belt
2. Water Pump
3. Serpentine Belt
4. A/C-Power Steering Belt

What other parts for certain might I need. Granted they may find a bad pulley or something but what are the definite items so I can make sure they are addressed?
Old 04 Oct 2015, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt - Parts Needed

You want a belt kit. That has your idler and tensioner as well. Not all water pumps are equal NitroOT had a favorite. He does customer work on these. Might check you motor mounts as these have to come off to do the work. I also changed my crank and can seals to.
rckstein and ptprice like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Oct 2015, 03:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You want a belt kit. That has your idler and tensioner as well. Not all water pumps are equal NitroOT had a favorite. He does customer work on these. Might check you motor mounts (torque struts) as these have to come off to do the work. I also changed my crank and cam seals to.
+1 to the above.

(crank seal and torque struts are not included in the above pic)

I would also add center motor mount to the list, of what I have highlighted in bold above. The center mount is easily accessible while doing the timing belt work, but to replace it after the fact, the service manual says to remove engine.

ptprice likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 04 Oct 2015 at 03:09 pm.
Old 04 Oct 2015, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good Post DagnyT, I too am always thinking about the Timing Belt. I now have 62K on my 07, and ask....do I or don't I have it changed. In my case, all is well under the hood. I ask, is there anyway to know if the belt (and other stuff) has been changed by looking?
Old 04 Oct 2015, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

That kit looks like the one advertised by Modern Performance. The water pump is an oem for GTs and Neon STR-4 03 to 05. Best to replace crank seal while in there
Old 04 Oct 2015, 07:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
+1 to the above.

(crank seal and torque struts are not included in the above pic)

I would also add center motor mount to the list, of what I have highlighted in bold above. The center mount is easily accessible while doing the timing belt work, but to replace it after the fact, the service manual says to remove engine.

Thanks. I'm going to try and compile a list of the parts on the Mopar OEM site and see what it all costs.
Old 10 Oct 2015, 07:26 am
Young Cruiser

I got a quote from a local shop for $884.

6 hours of labor - $534
NAPA Kit - WPK43500 (includes water pump and belt) - $276.54
2 Gallons of coolant - $25.50
1 hose clamp $2.49

Plus tax.

Online the kit is $216. I hate the fact that I'm paying so much more for the kit but I don't know what they'd think if I showed up with the parts. I'm trying to figure out the price for OEM but can't seem to get the kit to pull up on the Mopar site.

I do plan to get another quote before proceeding though.

The above quote did not factor in a few of the other things previously suggested.

Any advice on how to proceed other than a 2nd quote?
Old 10 Oct 2015, 07:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Tell them up front you would like a Labor only quote.

With 100,000 miles I would also replace the plastic idler for the AC Belt
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Oct 2015, 08:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT View Post

6 hours of labor - $534
1 hose clamp $2.49

Plus tax.

Online the kit is $216. I hate the fact that I'm paying so much more for the kit but I don't know what they'd think if I showed up with the parts. I'm trying to figure out the price for OEM but can't seem to get the kit to pull up on the Mopar site.

The above quote did not factor in a few of the other things previously suggested.

Actually that quote is pretty good ($884)...anything between $800 & $1200 is good.
I do think that 6 hours for labor is pushing it, but if you have it in writing you should be fine.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Oct 2015, 08:23 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT View Post

6 hours of labor - $534
1 hose clamp $2.49

Plus tax.

I just recently had my timing belt work done on my PT at a dealership, and to replace: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, (2) camshaft seals, crankshaft seal with all OEM (MOPAR) parts was about $373 (parts only). These prices may have had some of a discount applied, as I don't really know what straight retail prices for the parts would have been. But that should get you close. You won't get a "kit" to pull up for OEM parts as each part is sold and priced separately. A price of $884 is on the low side for this work and pretty good, in my opinion. Provided the mechanic is competent and will stand behind his work, and is someone you think you can trust? I paid almost double that, but they also did replace the center motor mount, which was torn. Many shops won't let you provide the parts as they have to provide a warranty on their work, so they also need to provide the parts. You can try getting other prices, but this is one job you don't want to go cheap on, it's a difficult job, even for experienced mechanics. Good luck.
Probedude likes this.