remove rust from wheels?

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By rob342
  • 3 Post By j0e

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2015, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default remove rust from wheels?

One of my rear wheels is covered in a rusty gritty coating.
I assume it's from having my rear drums turned and new shoes installed.
I was able to clean it off of the aluminum lip, but the painted finish isn't letting it go.
Anyone know a good trick and/or product to help?
Old 05 Oct 2015, 03:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: remove rust from wheels?

try easy-off oven cleaner in a yellow can. i use this stuff often and it's great. i've never tried it on an oven though. it's an old sign painter trick to remove pinstriping and hand lettering off vehicles. i have discovered it does MIRACLES for removing baked on brake dust/rust and rust streaks. i washed a whole dodge ram with it a couple months back.

a couple things though..

-it WILL burn on your skin so wear gloves, and hold your breath/don't inhale any.
-it is not safe for ALL paint, but it's great for MOST paint. try it on a tiny area 1st
-don't let it sit on the paint longer than a minute
-wipe it away with a water soaked rag

so spray it on, let sit for 30 seconds, wipe away with wet rag.
Old 05 Oct 2015, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nice. That's the kind of tip I was hoping for!
Thanks.
Old 05 Oct 2015, 03:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you're welcome. post a before and after pic if you can. ..and seriously try a small area 1st. it's pretty nasty stuff.
Old 05 Oct 2015, 04:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

As you can see in the before pic, rust is stuck on all the paint areas.
And the drums need some new paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06 Oct 2015, 09:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was afraid to let it sit to long, but the easy off seemed to help.
It's not perfect, but a lot better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 07 Oct 2015, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

My rotors an surrounding area looks like that, will give that a try.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 05:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Great tip about the oven cleaner Rob! I had a set of GT wheels that were in ok shape, but the previous owner seemingly never cleaned the brake dust and what looked like small rust spots from them. I used some tire and rim cleaner that had little effect and mostly just ran off.

Then I tried the yellow can oven cleaner tip. This stuff goes on like a foam and then kind of adopts a gel like consistency and sticks to the wheels. The rust and dirt was encrusted pretty good, so I sprayed it on and then proceeded to mow my lawn. Of course the carb was all gunked up on the mower, so I had to clean it and get it running first. Needless to say, it was probably two hours since I had sprayed the oven cleaner on my wheels. The oven cleaner had dried on the wheels a little bit, so I sprayed a fresh coat to wet them up again. Then I used a small brush and spent about 2 minutes on each wheel brushing all of the areas. Then I hosed off the wheels. It worked great and my crusty dirty GT wheels now gleam like new!

Great tip! Thanks!

Last edited by myckee; 12 Oct 2015 at 05:20 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 06:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Rob, do you thing easy-off oven cleaner would work on the very edges of my original WD9P 16"X6'0" Aluminum Chrome clad Wheels. The whole chrome portion of each wheel is pristine but they are deteriorating just slightly in places where there is no chrome at the very outer edge of the rim. It's not apparent on every wheel and some of it may be road rash by the previous owner or tire changing equipment not set up for custom wheels. Possibly this was aggravated by the salt in the air down here? Or just that the previous owner let a build up of brake and road dust adhere too long in that area of the wheel to let the damage begin?
I know easy-off can be very aggressive on aluminum and all though it might work on the strong, impervious finish of the chrome of the wheel it may just promote further deterioration of the raw aluminum rim.
I've also considered carefully sanding and filing the imperfections down with the wheel jacked up and hand spinning it slowly. Either clear coating the edges to protect that area or painting them a neat contrasting color using a very durable paint if the sanding effort has to be hidden. Please advise. Thanks from SOOO BIG. Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 12 Oct 2015 at 06:15 pm.