Advertisements
Need help with '03 PT turbo

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2015, 02:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help with '03 PT turbo

I'm going to look at a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo this week. I've been a GM guy forever. Worked on a ton of LS1 powered cars and other GM cars. But i really like a 2003 PT Turbo that i found. It has over 150,000 miles and it's an automatic. I have read that these cars can have cooling issues and cutting off issues. The car looks in good shape, but is there anything i should be looking for? Since it's an auto i will check for burnt tranny fluid, and drive it to see if the tranny slips. Does the turbo in these cars have any problems? Is there any signs that the turbo is shot that i should be looking for? Again it's got high mileage, but i have to say it's interior looks damn good. Same with the paint.
Well, thank you everyone on this site. Sorry for being a FNG.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with '03 PT turbo

I would suggest taking an OBDII Scan Tool with you and check to see if there any transmission codes as well as engine codes.

I would check the upper and lower strut motor mounts.

I would run the PT Cruiser for at least twenty minutes after starting the engine and turning on the A/C.

I would drive it up a steep hill on the freeway if possible. Check for vibrations and engine missing at high speeds.

I would check for oil and coolant leaks.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 11:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with '03 PT turbo

Do as you would buying any used car. I would replace any hoses that have obviously not been replaced before, radiator, heater, cooling system, bypass, etc. PTs are no better and no worse than most. The only minus to an 03 Turbo is the one year only cooling fan which is very expensive new but can be found reasonably used and moderately expensive on eBay. If you buy the car, get a spare fan soon, just to be covered.
Then enjoy the ride!
The Turbos are the cream of the crop though, adding a nice pop of performance to an otherwise adequate and fun car with comfortable seating, good AC and heat, great rear and side vision, and kids love them.
When my son bought his and my wife drove it, she loved the easy entry, upright seating with comfort too, she likes the old car look too. Of course that may be because we've almost always had old cars around starting with a 48 Plymouth five passenger coupe.
So, my son has an 03 GT autostick with leather interior. I have an 03 Dream autostick. My wife's 02 Dream non, turbo is being worked on. And we have just finished an 02 Limited Woodie for a friend who is 85.
03TXPTGT likes this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 08 Oct 2015 at 11:24 am.