PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas Cap problem, maybe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2015, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas Cap problem, maybe?

Hello all,
I left my PT in the garage in FL for 3 months while I went to CA for 3 months to get out of the FL heat, visit the grandkids, and fish the el nino. When I returned the car started and runs fine, but now has the check engine light on. I checked for codes and my INNOVA says there are none. I have a 2006.

My first thought is to replace the gas cap and go from their guided by this really informative thread. I noticed that many of the participants said they reset the CEL. How do you reset the CEL? Are there instructions somewhere in the forum?

Fortunately, I live in Florida so am not in a hurry as we don't have mandatory inspections.

Thanks,
Old 11 Oct 2015, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue

The proper way to reset the diagnostic trouble codes is to use an OBDII Scan Tool.

There are some for sale at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...BDII+Scan+tool

Make sure you write down and post the codes you get before you reset with the OBDII Scan Tool.

Did you need to charge up your battery before being able to start your PT Cruiser after taking your vacation?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Oct 2015 at 07:43 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for responding Steve
No, I did not have to charge the battery after the cruiser sat in a hot garage for 2 1/2 months. It started right up and ran great, but the check engine light was on when it started. I figured it was probably some gas cap thing because the pressure could have increased substantially being in the hot garage (not my garage, but a storage garage with a metal roof). I have run a tank of gas through the car and notice that my gas mileage has not changed significantly. This is one of the primary factors I typically use to identify problems with the engine.

I have an INNOVA Can OBD2 Scan Tool and hooked it up per the instructions. It said no codes were stored in the computer so I moved on to the enhanced DTC mode for Chrysler with the same result.

After reading your note I went to the erasing diagnostic trouble code mode and erased all DTCs. Unfortunately the CEL either did not go out, or came back on when I started the car.

With no codes it is kind of hard to know what to do next so I will keep driving until a code comes up. I think my meter is OK because it is only a couple of years old. It showed linked to the ISO9141 protocol and when I interrogated for real time outputs like RPM the numbers were viable.

I will probably replace the gas cap. If I find a solution I will post my findings.

Thanks again.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 11:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

If it doesn't say "Gascap" on the odometer, then it's not the gas cap.
If your code reader read no codes, trying going to AutoZone or O'Reilly's..they will read it for free. If it still shows no codes, unhook the the battery & let it sit for about 15 min, then hook it back up...if CEL comes back it should give a code this time.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Oct 2015, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas Cap problem, maybe?

Anytime the CEL comes on it stores the code in memory until cleared. So if your reader is not getting any codes, it may not be a OBDII generic code, but a manufacture specific one that your code reader is not recognizing

Does your Scan Tool/Reader tell you if it is a code that it does not recognize? I have the OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool SKU#60693 Brand-Cen-Tech and this scan tool lets me know if there are any codes it does not recognize. It also allows me to reset recognized and not recognized Diagnostic Trouble codes.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Oct 2015 at 09:23 pm.