Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2015, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's wrong?

About a month ago my 06 PT started choking down and trying to die, it would also get worse if you turned on any electrical item (fan, radio, rear defrost etc...). Ended up if finally died completely, turned out to be the cam-shaft sensor, replaced it and it drove fine for a month.

Then it started spitting-&-sputtering again. Again it said the cam-shaft sensor (don't remember the specific code). Then as I was sitting there trying to pull the trouble codes, it dropped to about 200rpm and caught back up, twice, the third time it died. Then I tried to crank it back up, the engine turned over about 3 or 4 times, then the entire electrical system shut down.

I had the battery tested and it's good, and is fully charged, I have checked the cable ends and they are good. I've checked all fuses and can't find a bad one. Could it be a relay, or what else, jumper cables will provide power until I turn the key, then no electrical power anywhere, all lights and buzzers are off.

I have drawn a complete blank on what else to check.

Thanks
Robby
Old 13 Oct 2015, 06:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What's wrong?

Check the grounds to the right of the air box...just don't look at them, pull them off & check them for corrosion.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Oct 2015, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's wrong?

How did you test the battery?

When you turn on the ignition switch is there a security red light coming on on the dash?

If not check the little wire coming from the ignition switch to the starter. See if you are getting 12 volts from the ignition switch. If not your ignition switch actuator might not be working properly but you need to find out if your getting 12 volts to the ignition switch.