PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Special engine coolant?

 
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 2 Post By rob342

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Oct 2015, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Default Special engine coolant?

Sorry I'm new and couldn't find a correct place to put this questions, so I figured general discussion. I join this site because everytime I google a problem this site pops up.


I have something that holds liquid that says "special engine coolant see owners manual"... The person I bought this off must of kept this. IDK what this means or where to find it, I looked on amazon and walmart.

I have this + anti freeze, so I don't believe this needs anti freeze in it. I was wondering how to know what to put in and where to find it.

It's a 2004 automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Oct 2015, 10:55 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,815
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

This can get technically complicated......

I use for myself and all of my PT Cruiser customers Zerex G-05
MJKnight likes this.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Oct 2015, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This can get technically complicated......

I use for myself and all of my PT Cruiser customers Zerex G-05
For the "Special engine" labeled cap and liquid container? And where can it be bought?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 12:55 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Just a note, take it for what its worth, your car anti-freeze requires at least a Chrysler/Mopar compatible solution,
your choice of Pre-mixed that you add no water to or full strength that you need to add water to achieve your cars recommended freeze protection.
(Read the label) Anti_Freeze not only protects for cold weather, it raises the boiling point of water, cooling liquid, and protects the internal iron parts of the engine from rusting.
Gone are the days you have to change your hoses every three years because the ant- freeze (oil-based) softened the hoses.

You don't want to add any other (Ford or GM - ) specific Anti-Freeze with your Anti-freeze, they will clog your radiator.

Also, if you need to add Transmission Fluid, Use ATF+4 or the Mopar ATF+4 (Chrysler) brand, any others will shorten your transmissions life.

Don't use automatic transmission Fluid in your Power steering, buy the recommended "Power Steering Fluid"

Read your owners manual at least once. Your Pt Cruiser has a timing belt and components that Must be changed at 100,000 mile intervals
or risk it breaking and leaving you stranded and possible added cost for valve damage.

Hope you enjoy your Cruiser! Come back often to read the post.

(Welcome to chime in and correct me if wrong)
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 15 Oct 2015 at 01:03 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,339
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Just a note, take it for what its worth, your car anti-freeze requires at least a Chrysler/Mopar compatible solution,
your choice of Pre-mixed that you add no water to or full strength that you need to add water to achieve your cars recommended freeze protection.
(Read the label) Anti_Freeze not only protects for cold weather, it raises the boiling point of water, cooling liquid, and protects the internal iron parts of the engine from rusting.
Gone are the days you have to change your hoses every three years because the ant- freeze (oil-based) softened the hoses.

You don't want to add any other (Ford or GM - ) specific Anti-Freeze with your Anti-freeze, they will clog your radiator.

Also, if you need to add Transmission Fluid, Use ATF+4 or the Mopar ATF+4 (Chrysler) brand, any others will shorten your transmissions life.

Don't use automatic transmission Fluid in your Power steering, buy the recommended "Power Steering Fluid"

Read your owners manual at least once. Your Pt Cruiser has a timing belt and components that Must be changed at 100,000 mile intervals
or risk it breaking and leaving you stranded and possible added cost for valve damage.

Hope you enjoy your Cruiser! Come back often to read the post.

(Welcome to chime in and correct me if wrong)
Where are you located?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Where are you located?
SW PA
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 08:58 am
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Don't use automatic transmission Fluid in your Power steering, buy the recommended "Power Steering Fluid"
Generally all good advice, but my power steering cap and owner's manual both say to use ATF4 in the power steering. Believe me, I wish they didn't. That stuff is expensive and it stinks to high heaven. I'm not sure if it changed over the years, but that is the recommendation for my 2003 GT.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 09:03 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Before you do anything. Tell us what color is in yours. It may have been changed. So info assuming you have original might cause the problem we speak to avoid. all anti freeze are good. Problems come when you mix some that are not comparable with others. Color will hep narrow down what your running.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 09:34 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Generally all good advice, but my power steering cap and owner's manual both say to use ATF4 in the power steering. Believe me, I wish they didn't. That stuff is expensive and it stinks to high heaven. I'm not sure if it changed over the years, but that is the recommendation for my 2003 GT.
I stand corrected- when I bought my used 2003 the power steering pump had red trans fluid in it and sounded like it was starving for fluid, I thought the previous owner used at+4 but it must have been another brand, I flushed my PS and used regular PS (clear) fluid and have no problem since.

Come to think of it auto trans failed at 125,000, I think they replaced the trans cooler and used another brand of fluid for it too, I think it was the pump or converter that failed, it just quit pulling. I took it apart and didn't find any damage.
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2015, 10:02 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: Special engine coolant?

i use the green stuff because it's free and i don't mind changing it every year or two. my car has a few miles on it.

what color is the stuff that's in the car now? if it's the green stuff, keep with it. it's not like draining it and refilling it will prevent impending doom
JoeX and LionPT like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking coolant - "Engine coolant pipes"? xkey General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 01 Jun 2014 09:11 am
Troubleshoot coolant leak: Photo of Coolant on top of engine radiator cap MarcusO Tech & Performance Forum 7 27 Apr 2013 09:16 am
Engine coolant replacement Batfalcon Europe PT Forum 6 20 Dec 2012 04:44 pm
Engine coolant leak help Vicky Tech & Performance Forum 9 25 Jul 2012 04:22 pm
Special engine coolant fluid mstyler05 Tech & Performance Forum 8 19 Jun 2010 12:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors