Removing Factory Pin Stripes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2015, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Removing Factory Pin Stripes

Anybody have any easy ways to remove the piddly little pin stripes that came on the GT from the factory? Reason I'm asking is that in 2002, they put the stripes above the top seam on the door and in 2003, they put them UNDER that top seam and the frigging stripes don't match up for me now. I don't even have any on the fender I replaced. I want to buy some new pin stripes and put them on myself. I've done several cars over the years and have no problem doing this. I've just never had to remove any and start over. Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Oct 2015, 06:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Removing Factory Pin Stripes

this is how I do it. -you might go a little slower until you get the hang of it.

it is imperative that you slightly dull the blade with fine sandpaper, and slightly round the corners. besides showing you this video i made for you using my mustang fender, i would feel just as comfortable using this technique to a ferrari. note the angles i'm holding the blade at.

for the leftover glue i use "rapid remover", but any adhesive remover should work fairly well. soak the glue and run the blade over it like you did the stripe. the glue will come off cleanly, similar to shaving cream coming off your cheek.

i recommend practicing on the old door if you still have it.

when i say "slightly round the corners", i mean like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (48.5 KB, 25 views)
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 22 Oct 2015 at 06:38 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2015, 06:42 pm
Banned

I recently had to have the pin stripes replaced on the hood of my PT. I watched the guy do the job and to remove the old stripes he used a heat gun to slightly heat them up, then they pulled right off.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2015, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
this is how I do it. -you might go a little slower until you get the hang of it.

it is imperative that you slightly dull the blade with fine sandpaper, and slightly round the corners. besides showing you this video i made for you using my mustang fender, i would feel just as comfortable using this technique to a ferrari. note the angles i'm holding the blade at.

for the leftover glue i use "rapid remover", but any adhesive remover should work fairly well. soak the glue and run the blade over it like you did the stripe. the glue will come off cleanly, similar to shaving cream coming off your cheek.

i recommend practicing on the old door if you still have it.

when i say "slightly round the corners", i mean like this:
. I recommend leaving this to a pro like rob here. Still easy to damage the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I recently had to have the pin stripes replaced on the hood of my PT. I watched the guy do the job and to remove the old stripes he used a heat gun to slightly heat them up, then they pulled right off.
this is safer. You can also use a plastic spreader to get them going.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Oct 2015, 10:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thank you to you guys for the replies. I DO still have the old doors and plenty of razor blades and sandpaper, so will try your method first Rob. I've already tried my wife's hair dryer and that didn't work too good. I had more luck just peeling them with my thumbnail, but that is EXTREMELY slow. I met a neighbor from up the street this afternoon and damned if he's not a retired paint and body man. I asked him why the hell he couldn't have ridden by a few hours earlier! LOL Anyway, Hector told me that if I want to do some prep and paint this mofo, that he'll show me what to do and help me! Very nice guy and he even gave me some 3M adhesive tape to use on replacing the window visors and door trim on the car. I didn't have enough, but at least I know what to look for when I go to the parts store over the weekend. Who knows? Maybe by next spring, my PT will be wearing a new coat of blue paint. I'll definitely keep it the factory color, as I like it. I'll be busy selling pretzels tomorrow, so it will be Saturday at the earliest before I get to trying to remove the pin stripes. Thanks again.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.