Advertisements
TPS for Dummies -- need step by step directions 2006

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2015, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default TPS for Dummies -- need step by step directions 2006

I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a simple set of directions on how to replace the TPS. We're working through the codes that were pulled on my 06 and the TPS is the last one we're on in hopes of stopping the intermittent surging/cutoff/rough idle. (Yes, we did the timing belt, map sensor, plugs, wires, etc.)

Does the entire throttle body need to be removed to get to the TPS? Are there pictures showing the TPS actually in the car and location?

I did find a You Tube video showing the throttle being removed easily but it cuts off before showing the TPS location and replacement.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 07:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: TPS for Dummies -- need step by step directions 2006

TPS Sensor installment
Old 23 Oct 2015, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the link... I did see that post but without pictures and explicit steps, I don't really understand what it's saying. Although we've replaced a number of parts in our PT, it was always with painfully clear and dumbed-down directions.

Old 23 Oct 2015, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the engine lite on? And what codes have you been getting?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Oct 2015, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code

When the check engine light isn't on, the car runs fine. It will go days sometimes and run great. Then, suddenly, the light flashes on and the symptoms begin: feeling like it won't shift properly, sudden downshifting, engine cuts out. We went to Autozone and got the codes pulled when this first started to happen. I'm trying to remember here, but I know that there were three codes with one of them being the MAP sensor, another sensor, vacuum leaks, and the TPS sensor. We changed the first two sensors, checked for vacuum leaks (although we could still pull off the big air thingy on top and replace that gasket.) Not sure if a vacuum leak would be intermittent like that though. In the meantime, we got the timing belt replaced too.

Then when I checked the code again (after the timing belt), the only one showing was for the TPS.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 12:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you send me your email address i can send the version you're looking for. i printed it to a PDF. it has illustrations and all that fancy stuff. it is copyrighted and sold as part of a subscription service and may contain numbers that can track it back to our account so i will email it instead if you need it.

just FYI i have never heard of a bad TPS on a PT. i see people waste money on them throwing parts at problems instead of testing. a TPS is the simplest sensor to test, requiring only a $7 multimeter. nothing gets removed or disconnected from the car to do it. it's quicker to test than to replace.

Last edited by rob342; 23 Oct 2015 at 01:15 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is there somewhere to send you my email rather than post it here? Most forums don't allow email postings.

Also, if it isn't the TPS as indicated by the code, then what might it be?

Right now, it's really scary to drive the car when you're accelerating and then suddenly, it feels as though something has slammed on the brakes making the car shift violently.

Thanks for your help.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafishergal View Post
Is there somewhere to send you my email rather than post it here? Most forums don't allow email postings.

Also, if it isn't the TPS as indicated by the code, then what might it be?

Right now, it's really scary to drive the car when you're accelerating and then suddenly, it feels as though something has slammed on the brakes making the car shift violently.

Thanks for your help.
I would suggest checking the TPS circuit. Check the TPS contacts. Make sure its making good contact. If the TPS contacts are good then check the wire from the TPS to the PCM. Unplug the connector at the PCM and make sure there is no liquid coming out of the connector or the PCM. Make sure you are getting good continuity.

If everything looks good and you are getting good continuity then its time to check the TPS. The link below might help you understand how to test the TPS.

If the TPS checks out good then you need to check the grounds going to the PCM. They might be intermittent.

Part 1 -How to Test the Throttle Position Sensor (Chrysler 2.0L, 2.4L)

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 Oct 2015 at 08:39 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 09:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafishergal View Post
I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a simple set of directions on how to replace the TPS. We're working through the codes that were pulled on my 06 and the TPS is the last one we're on in hopes of stopping the intermittent surging/cutoff/rough idle. (Yes, we did the timing belt, map sensor, plugs, wires, etc.)

Does the entire throttle body need to be removed to get to the TPS? Are there pictures showing the TPS actually in the car and location?

I did find a You Tube video showing the throttle being removed easily but it cuts off before showing the TPS location and replacement.
You are talking about the Throttle Position Sensor? I have the instructions from the service manual that I can email to you, if you still need them. You don't have to remove the throttle body to replace it. I recently replaced mine and it did make for a more responsive throttle. I bought the replacement at O'Reilly for $74 carries a lifetime warranty.