PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parasitic Draw From Door Lock?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2015, 06:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Parasitic Draw From Door Lock?

Hey guys, I recently replaced both doors on the driver side of my GT due to it having some cracks as the result of some shoddy past bodywork. Anyway, I had a hard time replacing the door lock cylinder and now my door locks work intermittently. I can put the key in to lock/unlock them and all four doors and the hatch rattle like crazy and I have to jiggle the key in the lock in order to make it stop. I changed the transmission fluid and filter yesterday and did some cleaning and stuff and when I went to crank it several hours later, it wouldn't start. I removed the battery, cleaned all the grounds and cables and put it back together and still had a "click, click, click" with no spinning. I boosted it with my 200 and it started just fine. I turned it off, got my volt meter out and checked the battery. It read 12.57 volts. I started the car, checked the voltage at the battery with it running and got 13.8. Seems low to me, and it was slow to crank and start. I left it overnight and went out at 0630 this morning and it is "click, click, click" again with no start. I'm thinking it's the frigging door lock mechanism that is the problem. I think I'll take it to O'Reillys today after church and have them check the charging system and battery for me. If they check okay, then I'm just going to disconnect the door lock and see what happens. If it's okay after that, then I know I'll have to get back inside the door to see if I can figure out why it's not working properly. Do any of you think it's the door lock or simply that I need to replace the alternator or battery?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Oct 2015, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Parasitic Draw From Door Lock?

Did you replace the door switch with a new one when you replaced the door lock cylinder? If not you might not have installed the door lock cylinder correctly making the door switch not work properly.

If the door switch is bad or not working properly it can send a message to the RKEM to keep locking and/or unlocking thinking you have a key in the key cylinder and you are turning the key cylinder. This can drain the battery even with the ignition off.

The charging system is okay down to 13.5 volts if the battery is fully charged and there is no excessive current causing the PCM to tell the generator to increase the voltage. It would not hurt to get a battery load test done to verify the charging system is working properly. I believe when you get your door switch working properly you will not have a battery drain causing your starting problems after letting the PT Cruiser sit for hours based on your recent door repair.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Oct 2015 at 11:30 am.
Old 25 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks, Steve. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with it. Just got home from church, so gotta change, grab a bite to eat and get on that PT. I'll let you know if I get it fixed or not.

Old 25 Oct 2015, 09:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Well, after stripping the door wiring harness out of the original door off the GT, I removed the one off the donor door and swapped them out. Door lock was still acting funky. I grabbed all of the old parts from one door and started re-assembling them on the driveway the way I had them in the door and started scratching my......head. I got to looking at the black plastic piece that goes against the inside of the door to hold the lock cylinder in and decided to try flipping it over from the way I'd been installing it. Well, I'll be! It worked. The door locks now work, the window still works and all of the internal parts went back together without a hitch. Stuck the key in the ignition and "click, click, click". Seriously? So, jumped it with the 200 and drove to O'Reilly Auto Parts and had some kid come out and test the battery and alternator. I looked over his shoulder while he did this and testing showed the alternator charging at 13.79 volts, so it's good. Tested the battery and it said "bad battery". I thanked him and fired it up and drove home. I'll check it again in the morning and if it clicks, then I'll get another battery tomorrow. I'm hoping it was just discharged and the 52 mile round trip may have helped put a charge back in it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I don't know how many times I pulled that frigging plastic piece out and shoved it back in yesterday and today before I decided to flip it over and try it. I blame it on the two brain surgeries I've had. I don't think I've always been this stupid.
Gkon likes this.

Old 25 Oct 2015, 10:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Well, after stripping the door wiring harness out of the original door off the GT, I removed the one off the donor door and swapped them out. Door lock was still acting funky. I grabbed all of the old parts from one door and started re-assembling them on the driveway the way I had them in the door and started scratching my......head. I got to looking at the black plastic piece that goes against the inside of the door to hold the lock cylinder in and decided to try flipping it over from the way I'd been installing it. Well, I'll be! It worked. The door locks now work, the window still works and all of the internal parts went back together without a hitch. Stuck the key in the ignition and "click, click, click". Seriously? So, jumped it with the 200 and drove to O'Reilly Auto Parts and had some kid come out and test the battery and alternator. I looked over his shoulder while he did this and testing showed the alternator charging at 13.79 volts, so it's good. Tested the battery and it said "bad battery". I thanked him and fired it up and drove home. I'll check it again in the morning and if it clicks, then I'll get another battery tomorrow. I'm hoping it was just discharged and the 52 mile round trip may have helped put a charge back in it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I don't know how many times I pulled that frigging plastic piece out and shoved it back in yesterday and today before I decided to flip it over and try it. I blame it on the two brain surgeries I've had. I don't think I've always been this stupid.
Wow! Very unusual to have two problems come up at the same time!
Did you do a full charge on the battery with a battery charger before taking it in for a battery load test? If not you should do it when you can.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 07:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Well, the battery is almost 4 years old and it a cheap Valucraft one. I'm just going to replace it, but I will have it charged and load tested, just for the fun of it. The car barely cranked this morning and did start. I let it run a couple of minutes and got the click, click, click, so I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Old 26 Oct 2015, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Wow! Very unusual to have two problems come up at the same time!
Did you do a full charge on the battery with a battery charger before taking it in for a battery load test? If not you should do it when you can.
It's not so unusual to have ore that one problem when you have someone working on parts of the car. I can't say if the parts store load tested the battery. But I had a battery from Walmart and it had a weak or bad cell. Found this while charging. Symptom, I would die after a couple of days sitting. So took for exchange. Tested good according to there little hand held unit. Ticked off I took it back to the shop and reinstalled and turned on the lights and left for the day. Next day took it back out there and they said two, it's bad. Got replaced and no more problem. Charging the battery for the test they performed masked it's problem. So sometimes you can't be sure if they know what their doing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Oct 2015, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Good point, Busted_PT. I'm going to replace it, just to be on the safe side. Just because you carry jumper cables in your car doesn't mean someone will jump you off nowadays. I jumped a guy off in a Walmart that had been asking people for over an hour and he had his own cables. Nobody wants to help someone else anymore. He offered to pay me and I told him to hold out his right hand. He did, I shook it and told him I'd been paid in full. Pay it forward. It's not that hard.

Old 26 Oct 2015, 08:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Sometimes, chuzz, it's all about making sure the little plastic piece is installed in the right direction.
It may take a few tries but, once you get it, the rest is smooth as silk.

Glad you figured it out.
chuzz likes this.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Good point, Busted_PT. I'm going to replace it, just to be on the safe side. Just because you carry jumper cables in your car doesn't mean someone will jump you off nowadays. I jumped a guy off in a Walmart that had been asking people for over an hour and he had his own cables. Nobody wants to help someone else anymore. He offered to pay me and I told him to hold out his right hand. He did, I shook it and told him I'd been paid in full. Pay it forward. It's not that hard.
Most people don't know how to ease their own hood. So they are afraid that it will damage their car. Or these days if someone is up to no good. It's a strange world these days. I do it like you. I never take take advantage of someone in need like that. But I have been forced to take something before. Sometimes they just won't take no as an answer. But I always think that could be me next time and try to help if asked. Good job Chuzz!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com