PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question for owners of older PT

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2015, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question for owners of older PT

I just bought a nice 2008 with 65k miles and so far I love driving it. I was wondering where do the PT's rust, so I can spray that area with oil on my 2008 with Zero visible rust So far.

I will try to post a picture of the owner I bought it from. She is a nice looking babe considering she is a mother of two.

PT Cruser Inna.jpg
Old 26 Oct 2015, 06:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Question for owners of older PT

The PTs tend to rust in the usual places like most other cars in the rust belt, any standing seams on the undercarriage and the rocker panels where the road salts get spared up and collect then begin to eat the car up.
This from looking at pictures from sea coast cars as well as rust belt cars on the net.
In our area any car with much rust is from a southern or other sea coast area or a north central or New England area state where roads are salted or chemicals in the winters. The other rusty mobiles are usually flood cars.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 07:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

My '01 has some rust on the bottom seam of one door. Organic debris (leaves, pine needles, whatnot) got down there and caused rust to form. I removed the door panels, vacuumed out the debris and sprayed on some rust preventative. It seems stable now.

There's a place behind the fender liners that also gathers debris. While I don't have rust in this area, the debris could certainly cause it. See post: check behind those fender liners
Old 27 Oct 2015, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Great info I will also try and clean that area every Spring and make sure I get the whole car oil sprayed every year.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 07:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Okay, I'm not trying to be stupid here, but what is oil spraying, guys? Not something I'm familiar with being a wild eyed southern boy.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Undoubtedly they actually have places that spray oil on the underside of the cars to combat rust Chuzz. Ever see rust on an oily part? you could do that here. EPA would put you out of business.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 27 Oct 2015 at 12:55 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know what the proper term is, but there is a cross-member under my '03 GT that has some rust. It is basically the piece "boxing" the cross-member that has rusted very badly. Strangely the member itself seems fine. There are several parts of my car that have rusted badly while nearby parts are like new. I guess it is different metal qualities or something.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

mine is rotting pretty good right in front of the back tire, there is also rust at the seam behind the front tire. the whole front edge of the hood is rusting, some is from the crimp under the lip, some is from chips that were ignored. the bottom edge of the hatch and the area around the emblem/handle is starting as well. that's probably from paint that was chafed away after slamming the hatch a few thousand times.

Old 27 Oct 2015, 04:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Undoubtedly they actually have places that spray oil on the underside of the cars to combat rust Chuzz. Ever see rust on an oily part? you could do that here. EPA would put you out of business.
I kind of thought that was what he was referring to, but it sounds too simple!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Oct 2015, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here in the Toronto area there are two well known companies that will spray an anti-rust oil on the under-side of the car and they drill small holes in the rocker panels to get oil in there. If you take your car to them every year for the treatment they will guarantee NO Rust or they will repair or replace the rusted panel. As a side benefit it lubes all moving parts.
rockandroller likes this.