Advertisements
What Year Engines Will Interchange

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Only1Balto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2015, 07:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default What Year Engines Will Interchange

Hey Guys, there's a member on allpar with a LOT of miles on his PT and he's wanting to put another engine in it. Here's what he posted. I can't answer his questions as I'm new to the PT's. Anyone here know and can help out?

With over 344,000 miles, it looks like it is time to replace or rebuild the engine in my 04 PT Cruiser (non-turbo, VIN B). I think my oil mileage is starting to approach my gas mileage (a quart about every 350 miles) and the oil use has fouled up the valves and I have intermittent missing at idle and obvious loss of compression at times. Fortunately, I have my Ram to drive while I wait to fix this.

I have a few questions that hopefully somebody can answer:

1) What years of PT Cruisers have engines compatible with the 04? I know 03 and older are not; and I read somewhere that 05 - 08 will work; but I've never found anything definitive. I realize things like crank sensor position has changed with different castings. Not as easy to sway engines as it used to be.

2) If I find a compatible engine, do I need to worry about the cam (and cam sensor magnet)? When I swapped the head, I had to provide a number off of the cam to make sure everything matched. I never knew if they changed cams over the years or not.

3) How difficult is it to rebuild these engines?

I realize this car owes me nothing. It has been extremely reliable and enjoyable. I have 6 years to retire, and use the PT to drive to work. I'd rather not use the Ram as we use that to tow our camper around. If I can change the engine, that may take me the 6 years so I can dump it then when I plan on keeping just the truck.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 08:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: What Year Engines Will Interchange

I believe any 03-10 will do the job for you.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 09:13 am
Young Cruiser

I've rebuilt the turbo'd 2.4 before, and surprisingly it wasn't difficult at all. In fact it was the first engine that I'd ever rebuilt. They've got kits out there with everything you need pretty much. If you've got the time and don't mind a small project- then I would suggest going that route.

However, for much cheaper I'm sure you could find a used xxx mileage engine to swap in. If you're paying someone to do it, the cost might be near or as much as it is to rebuild. You also run the ricks of picking up someones problems as well. But with these stout little engines, I would think you'd be ok.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
I believe any 03-10 will do the job for you.
There is your answer. Except Turbo motors. 1 & 2 have the different crank and sensor location. So no go there. Somewhere in the second gen. There was the uses of the one shouldered thrust barring that lead to crank walk. But not sure exact years.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Oct 2015, 04:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Okay, I'm going to relay to him that 03-2010, he should be okay. Thanks.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.