• 2 Post By Kayleekitten
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 4 Post By Kayleekitten
  • 1 Post By Kayleekitten

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2015, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad oil leak, good dealer

Last week my 07 started pissing oil (2qt over night(. I brought it to my dealership on monday, got it right up on the lift and found the leak. It was a worn out front crank shaft seal. They checked for play in the shaft and none, the seal just got worn out. Best case scenario.

While they were at it they replaced all the seals in the front of the engine, all new belts and an oil change.

The cost for all that.........$400. My baby runs so much better now.
Probedude and Gkon like this.

'07 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 28 Oct 2015, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad oil leak, good dealer

How many miles do you have on it?
Old 28 Oct 2015, 10:48 pm
Banned

Did they put all the old timing belt components back in? Did they replace the camshaft seals as well?

Last edited by rckstein; 28 Oct 2015 at 11:58 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Keep a watch on your oil. I have never read of this issue without crank walk. Your in the years that were affected. Most don't bother to change them at timing belt change. That's how long these last. Ware doesn't happen overnight. So I'm not convinced your good to go. Do pay attention. Always look for any signs of oil.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Nov 2015, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

its 76k miles on it. yup they changed all the timing components that could have been effected by oil saturation and replaced they did the crank shaft seal.

The car had a small oil leak when i got it and it got worse as the weather got cool. I am still watching it to make sure it does not happen again.

'07 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 03 Nov 2015, 01:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleekitten View Post
its 76k miles on it. yup they changed all the timing components that could have been effected by oil saturation and replaced they did the crank shaft seal.

The car had a small oil leak when i got it and it got worse as the weather got cool. I am still watching it to make sure it does not happen again.
What you paid for your repair seems awful cheap and I don't wish you any bad luck, but I guess I tend to look at things that can go wrong usually do, my pessimistic side of me. You already said they replaced the crank shaft seal as that was the original problem, but your car also has (2) cam shaft seals that can also leak. They were leaking on my PT that last time the dealership had to do the timing belt work. Please look at your receipt, did they replace the: (2) cam shaft seals, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley and water pump while they had it torn apart? If not, you're not too far from needing to have that work done and, in my opinion, it would have been wise for them to go ahead and do that now rather than tearing it apart again a year from now at another $1000-$1500.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Nov 2015 at 01:42 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

well the full cost of the repair was about $1000 but they gave a a big break on the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What you paid for your repair seems awful cheap and I don't wish you any bad luck, but I guess I tend to look at things that can go wrong usually do, my pessimistic side of me. You already said they replaced the crank shaft seal as that was the original problem, but your car also has (2) cam shaft seals that can also leak. They were leaking on my PT that last time the dealership had to do the timing belt work. Please look at your receipt, did they replace the: (2) cam shaft seals, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley and water pump while they had it torn apart? If not, you're not too far from needing to have that work done and, in my opinion, it would have been wise for them to go ahead and do that now rather than tearing it apart again a year from now at another $1000-$1500.
rckstein likes this.

'07 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 04 Nov 2015, 10:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleekitten View Post
well the full cost of the repair was about $1000 but they gave a a big break on the cost.
Sounds like you got a great deal, good dealer, happy PT'ing
Old 04 Nov 2015, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A BIG break? Man, that's HUGE!!! LOL I'm happy to hear that someone got a break from a stealership. Did you buy it there?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.