PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad wheel bearings within 200 miles?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2015, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bad wheel bearings within 200 miles?

ok, so when I bought my pt, the owner was having some work done to it at a local garage. New control arm bushings, and new wheel bearings on the passenger side. I brought it home Tuesday afternoon, which was about a 2 1/2 hour drive. The next morning, I went to a local tire shop to get the alignment done. They told me the passenger side wheel bearings had play in them. I took it home, and sure enough, there was a brand new hub with new bearings. The hub hadn't even started rusting yet. I thought maybe they were just a bad set of bearings. I bought the better quality bearings that napa had. My neighbor installed the new bearings for me, I put everything back together, and all was good, briefly. I had the pt out today just doing some running around I needed to do. I was out for about 2 hours, and the bearings are bad again. I kept hearing this clunking that was getting worse. I pulled it in the garage to check, and I couldn't believe the play in the wheel. There was never any grinding in either case. What would cause this? Is the spindle somehow bad? The only thing that I could see was that the strut ground was missing, but I don't see how that could be the cause. Please someone help me with this. Between this, and the reverse lights not working, I'm a bit frustrated, to say the least.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bad wheel bearings within 200 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGTCruiser View Post
ok, so when I bought my pt, the owner was having some work done to it at a local garage. New control arm bushings, and new wheel bearings on the passenger side. I brought it home Tuesday afternoon, which was about a 2 1/2 hour drive. The next morning, I went to a local tire shop to get the alignment done. They told me the passenger side wheel bearings had play in them. I took it home, and sure enough, there was a brand new hub with new bearings. The hub hadn't even started rusting yet. I thought maybe they were just a bad set of bearings. I bought the better quality bearings that napa had. My neighbor installed the new bearings for me, I put everything back together, and all was good, briefly. I had the pt out today just doing some running around I needed to do. I was out for about 2 hours, and the bearings are bad again. I kept hearing this clunking that was getting worse. I pulled it in the garage to check, and I couldn't believe the play in the wheel. There was never any grinding in either case. What would cause this? Is the spindle somehow bad? The only thing that I could see was that the strut ground was missing, but I don't see how that could be the cause. Please someone help me with this. Between this, and the reverse lights not working, I'm a bit frustrated, to say the least.
you didn't say what year. Some 01s had a different size bearing. Other than that. Someone is doing something wrong. The axle nut is what holds the two together.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 31 Oct 2015 at 07:03 am.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe PaGTCruiser has a 2003 gt with autostick.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That should rule out getting the narrower bearing. After that it's a matter of tourqueing the axle nut. Unless the washers are left out. Leaving the axle a bit to long. IDK I've never done that. An exploded view would show the parts in this repair. If the bearing don't have enough pressure on them the split inner race will be forced outward and loosening the bearing. This will account for the play you fill. Also hopefully the retaining ring was put back after bearing was installed in the hub.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 31 Oct 2015 at 07:18 am.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never forget so many aftermarket parts are 100% junk, I never install any parts that I do not recognize the name or if they come in a white box.
Old 01 Nov 2015, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually most of the aftermarket stuff isn't that bad at the moment. The problem here on this thread is either a incorrect part or install procedure.
Probedude and 767skyking like this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2015, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nothing wrong with aftermarket parts as long as they come from a recognized name, such as Gates, Wagner, Goodyear, SKF etc etc or any store Brand that stands behind what they sell. If it comes in a plain white box with just a part number I say pass on it.
Old 01 Nov 2015, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolm View Post
Nothing wrong with aftermarket parts as long as they come from a recognized name, such as Gates, Wagner, Goodyear, SKF etc etc or any store Brand that stands behind what they sell. If it comes in a plain white box with just a part number I say pass on it.
I have used those also with out a problem. Thes are made by one of the labeled box makers. Not any real way to know whitch one. I have found the warranty on some store items are not worth buying the part to get. Warranty (lifetime) is ok. I still don't want to have to use the warranty multiple times. Labor is mine and some jobs take hours. Do lifetime warranty on s part that last a year or two sucks to replace it labor wise. Such as the water pump on a PT.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com