PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn signals,wipers,brights not working 2006

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2015, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turn signals,wipers,brights not working 2006

My daughter's 2006 PT Cruiser just decided to have some things stop working all at once. You can not turn the head lights on or off but they come on when you start the car (no brights), the turn signals are not working, the dome light stopped working and the wipers stopped working as well...both front and back. The hazards are still working. I would have thought it was the MF switch on the left side if it were not for the fact that the wipers (on the right MF switch) stopped working at the same time. The problem is she is at school 3 hours away. I wanted to see if you thought removing the - terminal from the battery to reset the computer might help. I think I can walk he through that over the phone. Man I wish it would have done this when she was up he two weeks ago. Thanks for any help
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turn signals,wipers,brights not working 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
My daughter's 2006 PT Cruiser just decided to have some things stop working all at once. You can not turn the head lights on or off but they come on when you start the car (no brights), the turn signals are not working, the dome light stopped working and the wipers stopped working as well...both front and back. The hazards are still working. I would have thought it was the MF switch on the left side if it were not for the fact that the wipers (on the right MF switch) stopped working at the same time. The problem is she is at school 3 hours away. I wanted to see if you thought removing the - terminal from the battery to reset the computer might help. I think I can walk he through that over the phone. Man I wish it would have done this when she was up he two weeks ago. Thanks for any help
Good luck on a computer reset by disconnecting the battery, a long shot at best. I hope that fixes the problem.
I was getting Engine service light (several codes) and my high beams were not working. It was the newly designed (fuse box) now called TIPM.
Some have multiple layers of circuit board and they are not sealed. Spray your engine off and your most likely going to have problems.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:10 pm
Banned

Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for about 15 mins, then reconnect. My PT had a similar issue over a year ago now and that's all I did to it, everything came back up and has been working fine since, didn't have to replace anything, good luck!

Last edited by rckstein; 31 Oct 2015 at 02:56 pm.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I just spoke to her and we are going to give it a shot in the morning. I will make sure to post what happens.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest doing a battery load test. Make sure your charging system is working properly.

If disconnecting the battery doesn't help I would suggest checking the two grounding points on the inner left front fender near the battery. One looked like all body grounds ( several black wires on a single ring lug ) the other was a heavy stud with the battery engine ground and some additional black wires on a separate ring lug. I would suggest pulling both apart, wire brushed both lugs and separate the set of black wires going to the one lug. Make sure all the black wires are making good contact.

If that looks good then its time to check the wires going to the TIPM. If the wires look good check the TIPM.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 07:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball View Post

That is a MFS problem, I went through the same thing last year.
You might want to pull of the steering covers & check the plugs for the MFS if your not going to replace it. Also, the right side of the MFS (Wipers) plug into the left side of the MFS.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 31 Oct 2015, 08:04 am
Cool Cruiser

First do the above.
Next and I assume you have a wire diagram if not, time to pass go and get an expert.

trouble shoot something simple like the wipers. If you can fix that I think the rest will follow. Bad tipm or ground maybe for example.

Good luck. Nothing simple with these cars now a days.

Mike
Old 31 Oct 2015, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I was able to talk my daughter through removing the - clamp on the battery...not as easy as it sounds. She said the post had "stuff" on it so I had her clean the "stuff" off and clean everything up and then wait half an hour. She got it all back together and everything is working again. I will give everything a good going over when she comes up for her next school break. Thanks for all the help...this is a great forum!
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great to see that everything is working again.

Please take the PT Cruiser to Sears or a place where they can do a battery load test. You want to make sure the battery voltage is not dropping causing the MFS not to work. On some of the second generation PT Cruisers starting in 2006 the electrical & electronic system is hard on the battery. The next time you can work on the PT Cruiser clean both the negative and positive battery cable contacts. Check the battery fluid levels.

You might still have an intermittent short to ground in the MFS positive feed line shutting it down. If it happens again I would suggest checking to see if you might have a faulty parking brake sensor or an intermittent short in one of the wiring connectors in the MFS positive feed line.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Oct 2015 at 03:25 pm.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 05:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

IF that PT goes to Sears, be sure YOU take it and not your daughter. They're notorious for screwing over women that know absolutely nothing about cars. Back when I worked for Autozone, I had an elderly lady come in (80's at least) and ask if I could check the battery in her car. I went out with the machine and popped the hood and told her before testing it, that she probably needed a new one. She said, "No, I don't". "I just had one put in at Sears a couple of hours ago." She had a receipt for a new Die Hard battery for over $150 and her Buick still had the OEM battery in it. I explained to her that they'd cheated her, went back in the store with her and called Sears. I asked for the service manager and told him what had happened and politely told him if they didn't send someone to our parking lot within the next 15 minutes with the battery that she'd paid for, I was going to call the police department for her and tell them what had happened. It was less than 10 minutes before the service manager himself showed up with a brand new battery and many apologies to her. He didn't appreciate what I had to say to him, but I won't repeat it here. Needless to say, he never came in to Autozone while I worked there to get any parts! I've read several similar incidents over the years of being on car forums of Sears pulling the same thing on members female friends and relatives. Just tell your daughter to beware if she takes it in.
wingman55 likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.