Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2015, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Overheating

Hi everyone, new to the forum and loaded with problems, I have a 2006 PT Standard, with 90K miles on it, in very good condition, I rand it for some 3 month and then problems started, I put a new radiator, with the two fan relays, new water pump, timing belt, spark plugs with wires, new alternator, new computer and TCM, all of this has been done chasing different problems and codes, what is bogging me now is that the car overheats on traffic, no on highway, due to the electric fan is not kicking on, I have check every wire and connection and everything looks to be find, the scanner is giving me code
P0613 and the check engine light is on, I am at a loss ran out of a diagnostic now, my apologies for such a long first post, but I want to get his car fix, any help will be appreciated.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 05:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating

usually the problem is the fan. they burn out and it is very common.

it looks like you changed everything BUT the fan. is this correct?
Old 03 Nov 2015, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought about it, but it was working find the way is suppose too, till two days ago, and then all of the sudden totally stop, is there any way to test them, before spending the money ??

Thanks
Old 03 Nov 2015, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsea View Post
I thought about it, but it was working find the way is suppose too, till two days ago, and then all of the sudden totally stop, is there any way to test them, before spending the money ??

Thanks
Start your car & turn on the A/C, the fan should come on. Turn off A/C & let car run till temp gauge gets just about the 1/2 way mark (about 208*) and the fan should come on again.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 03 Nov 2015 at 06:19 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 07:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

I replaced my fan with just a little of 100,000. Not expensive @rock auto or ebay, I've got them from both without any problems.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 04 Nov 2015, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Overheating

Thanks guys I will check the fan today and replace if defective, I will post an update, I have plans to doll up this car to use as a second vehicle for shorts tips so I don't have to drive my 2005 3500 ram, it was my wife car since 2010, nice little car.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi guys, update, the fan was defective but it will trick anyone, because it will work most of the time, but it has a dead spot that it will not run if it lands there, put a new one and it works the way is supposed now, however it keeps on throwing codes different every time I hook up the scanner not to mention that the transmission it acting up whenever it pleases it is getting stuck on 1rst gear this car is kicking my a$$, any ideas? where too next, thanks
Old 05 Nov 2015, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Try a fluid and filter change on the transmission. It's not that difficult to do. Look at the "fuzz" on the magnet too, when you drop the pan. It can tell you if things are normal or falling apart. Use a filter kit from O'Reilly if there's one near you. And above all else, use ATF+4 transmission fluid only. I used the Walmart brand because it meets the Chrysler specs. Mine shifts great now. Look for loose, broken or corroded grounds on the engine too. Remove the air box, and battery and check the ground cables connection there on the driver side fender. Mine were dirty and I cleaned them up. Didn't make any difference, but made me feel better about it!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I try the fluid and filter change, the ground connections all have been checked and clean, I will not stop till I solve this problem, Ill keep you posted
Thanks all, in the mean time if some one have a thought shoot it this way
Old 06 Nov 2015, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsea View Post
Hi guys, update, the fan was defective but it will trick anyone, because it will work most of the time, but it has a dead spot that it will not run if it lands there, put a new one and it works the way is supposed now, however it keeps on throwing codes different every time I hook up the scanner not to mention that the transmission it acting up whenever it pleases it is getting stuck on 1rst gear this car is kicking my a$$, any ideas? where too next, thanks
I would suggest doing a battery load test with the battery in the PT Cruiser. There are places you can take it to that will do the battery load test for free such as Sears but make sure you call Sears first as some of them don't sell batteries anymore. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops and when the voltage does drop it puts out random engine trouble codes.