PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
defective transmission filter

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2015, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default defective transmission filter

I just replaced the range sensor on my transmission, as well as the filter. The filter I purchased was from advance auto. The filter didn't seem to fit well when I installed it as it kept falling off. I swapped the o ring from the old filter, and that seemed to help. I put everything back together, and briefly, the transmission was going through the gears as it should, than stopped. I pulled the pan, and the filter was laying in the pan. Would that cause the transmission to not shift? To make sure it wasn't something I did, I reinstalled the old filter just to see if it would stay in place, and it did, so the new one must have some kind of defect. I'm buying another filter, but from another auto parts store.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: defective transmission filter

I used the filter from Advance too. The issue is that the little keeper tips aren't big enough to wedge into the holes. So the filter is kind of loose until the pan is put on. It should be noted that the little humps on the bottom of the filter act as feet and allow the pan to press against the filter once the pan is installed. This is what actually holds the filter in place during use.

What likely happened on your car was that the filter came loose as the pan was being installed. I spent a lot of time making sure mine was secure before I installed the pan. But even then, I was very careful. And I had no issues. Whoever makes these for Advance should likely do a better job.

Gkon likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Nov 2015 at 07:47 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm guessing the filter came loose at this point as well. Whatever happened to using screws to secure the filter? Any how, as I said, the transmission very briefly shifted through the gears, but then stopped. Could this be the cause? I can physically shift through the gears, but nothing happens.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The transmission pump was likely still full of fluid and it may have still been picking up some fluid from the pan even though the filter was loose. But quickly, the pump lost prime and the tranny quit shifting. At least, that's a plausible answer.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 07:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

There are two little plastic "tits" on the filter that snap into holes in the valve body. I'm betting you didn't get them pushed in properly because you don't have the filter lined up the way it's supposed to go. I had no problem at all replacing mine and getting it to lock in. If you used two O rings, then you have one too many. The spacing won't be right and it WILL NOT go in deep enough. I got mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts. No question about it locking in.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Modified transmission used in competition or some like myself often DON"T run the pan filter and opt for an in line type instead. I measured the short p/u on the stock filter and the elimination did not expose the valve body out of the sump area. On my deep pan I did however make a p/u extension and fuel cell foam pack for the pan.

I have had this type on my PT for at least 2 years several thousand miles of weekend get-a-ways and countless 1/4 mile runs.

rockandroller and LionPT like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Nov 2015 at 11:28 am.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
There are two little plastic "tits" on the filter that snap into holes in the valve body. I'm betting you didn't get them pushed in properly because you don't have the filter lined up the way it's supposed to go. I had no problem at all replacing mine and getting it to lock in. If you used two O rings, then you have one too many. The spacing won't be right and it WILL NOT go in deep enough. I got mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts. No question about it locking in.
Those are the little "keeper tips" I was talking about. On the filter from Advance, they were just a little too small to stay secured in the holes. If you look closely at my photo above, you can see one of them on the filter. And that new fat red o-ring (also in the photo) doesn't press in well unless you work with it quite a bit. The OP just used his old o-ring, he didn't stack them.

For me, this kind of thing is par for the course and I didn't even mention it in my write up. It just took a minute or two to get the filter to stay in place secure enough to install the pan. But hearing the OP's report, I remembered that I had basically the same issue. I figure both the OP and I would have been better off if we had also gone to O'Reilly. With the 10% veteran discount I'm starting to go there more and more. But the 30% online discount for Advance is still attractive too.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did not read what brand filter kit was used? So I am not sure where it was purchased has a "hill of beans" on why or why not it did not wok for PaGTCruiser ?

Frankly I have used at least 3 different brands ATP,OEM and FRAM and never had a problem.

The threads title is defective transmission filter>That is singular NOT filters!(plural)

On a side note maybe off topic but never the less, why in the world would anyone change a transmission pan gaskit and filter on a dirt ground and very dirty blanket?

and the floor jack.....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Nov 2015 at 04:48 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 05:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i just wanna hear more about the
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
two little plastic "tits"
Old 04 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced the filter with one from autozone that fit better. The other one went into place, but didn't snap as it should. I only had one o ring on the filter. I put everything back together with the filter secured in place, wouldn't shift, so I pulled it apart again, dropped the valve body, and all seems good. Put it all back together, and isn't shifting. I'm at a loss. When I was trying to remove the old range sensor, the manual shaft pulled off the valve body, but I thought I put it back together properly. Is there something there I could have missed?