PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition and steering wheel locked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2015, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition and steering wheel locked

Hi,

I got into my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited (It's an automatic) and found that the key would not turn at all in the ignition.

I was playing around with the steering wheel and turned it all the way to the left. Something clicked and now the steering wheel locked in place.

I found a video on line showing how to replace the ignition switch, which seems pretty straightforward. Is this the problem however? Or am I possibly dealing with the steering wheel interlock? Or are there two issues going on here?

Thanks.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 10:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition and steering wheel locked

first make sure it's in park.

twist the wheel left hard, hold it, and try to turn the key.

if that does not work, while attempting to turn the key push in hard, twist, and tap tap tap on the key with a hammer. usually this is the fix.
since you've locked the steering, if you can relieve the pressure against the steering lock by holding it to the left with your knee, that would be good. i know it's asking a lot now, but that's it. i won't turn this into a game of twister.

i've had to do this to a few mopar products. chrysler, dodge, plymouth, and jeep have all been plagued by this for over 15 years and for whatever reason they're too dumb to fix it. the hammer is the accepted fix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chrysler+key+hammer

Last edited by rob342; 04 Nov 2015 at 10:56 am.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm back running again. Once I took apart underneath the steering column I got the steering wheel lock problem resolved. The ignition lock cylinder was a bit more tricky since I couldn't turn the key to uninstall it. After much tinkering I got it to turn and got it popped out. I imagine the hammer trick would accomplish the same thing though.

This video was pretty handy to help see what's what.

https://youtu.be/Wlhi9pm7vdY
Old 23 Jan 2016, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had this problem and tried everything. then i worked with the steering wheel adjuster...i movedit up a bit and they key turned with no problem.