Advertisements
03 pt electrical glitch?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2015, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 03 pt electrical glitch?

Hi! Pleas for give me if this is in the wrong spot, moving on I've had my pt since March now and have put 20,000 mi on it with only a timing belt being the only major problem I've had with it. Until now. Last weekend while on a trip down state 5 1/2 hours away from home my head light decide to go from high beams to low beams and back to high and back to low. Meanwhile my light cluster is diming and going out and so is my mileage display. The radio also cuts out then comes back on. The engine seamed to be unbothered by all of this. It happend about 5 or 6 times in the course of 60mi then on the last time the engine stalled out for about a second and then came right back on. And finished the 168 mi there and the 300 back home problem free. Now I was driving home this morning(suns up so no head lights) and all of a sudden my raido cut out then my mileage isolated started dimming and I look in my rear view mirror and my back wiper is going! At this point I'm at a total loss as to what it could be!? I read Chrysler is know for having a bad positive wire going into the main fuse box but mine seams fine(can wiggle it pull on it and nothing happens) also I don't think that could cause stuff to turn on(high beams and back wipers). Any help would be amazing I only have a month before a by move and don't really have the money for a new car. I just don't know where to look! Sorry for any miss spellings! Thank you for reading!
Old 04 Nov 2015, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt electrical glitch?

Check the wiring connected in the steering column. You might move the tilt up and down while you have to on to see if you can duplicate the problem or make it stop. That moves the wires in the column. The stalk switch could be a problem also. Remove thereof covers to gain access. all the things you mentioned go through the steering column switches and ignition. Do start with that.
chuzz likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Nov 2015 at 02:09 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2015, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thank you for the reply! I'm at a total loss as to what it could be! But what about the radio and back wiper those don't run through there?
Old 04 Nov 2015, 05:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

All of that is operated off either the multi function switch or ignition switch in the steering column. Busted_PT has told you what to try first. I'd suggest you follow up on that and report back. He's been around for a while and won't tell you something that's not worth trying.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 06 Nov 2015, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay so I believe it might be the multiswitch. When it starts acting up you can hear a realy clicking and I was able to wiggle the switch and get it to do that. However I can't get it to totally act up. Any way to test this switch?
Old 07 Nov 2015, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had similar problems, and found that if I push the key in, the electrical problems would stop. I think the weight of my key chain was pulling it out a bit.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I bought a new switch, one with a fog light portion got a set of for lights from a junk yard. However there is no fuse receiver for the #8 for light fuse? Checked the one under the hood and they still won't come on? Even with new bulbs! Switch works grate! Too soon to tell if it fixed the problem
Old 07 Nov 2015, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I should mention that my car didn not come with fog lights but the wires and plugs where all there

Tags
03 pt cruiser, electrical, electrical glitch, help me, problem