PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changed the fuel pump, it won't start

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2015, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changed the fuel pump, it won't start

Hello, I have had the head redone, put it back together. The pump would not run. So I changed the fuel pump regulator, and sending unit,(Tank Unit) it still will not run the pump. So can I test the TIPM and the PCM to see which one is bad. Thank you all.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 06:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Changed the fuel pump, it won't start

Check for a blown fuse first. Start with the simple things, then work your way up. Loose ground would be next for me if not the fuse.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your response.
I have checked all fuses, cleaned every ground I can find. Cleaned all positive contacts at the battery. I am getting frustrated with this car, I keep throwing money at it, and something else quits working.
Before changing the head gasket, the pump worked. So I probably installed another 200.00 part for nothing.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 08:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerry View Post
Hello, I have had the head redone, put it back together. The pump would not run. So I changed the fuel pump regulator, and sending unit,(Tank Unit) it still will not run the pump. So can I test the TIPM and the PCM to see which one is bad. Thank you all.
If it was running before you did the head, its possible to accidentally switch the coil and cam sensor connectors. Many have done it. Been there done that too.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 11 Nov 2015, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have checked the wiring before, I will check again. On this one I don't see how you can.
Thank you.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 12:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On the 2006 PT Cruisers that are manufactured in 2006 and up the fuel pump is controlled by the TIPM. I would suggest doing a battery load test to make sure the voltage is not dropping. The TIPM is sensitive to voltage drops.

On 2006 PT Cruisers and up they are not equipped with a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump control is done through the TIPM. The TIPM receives an input signal from the PCM. Once the TIPM receives the signal, it will output a 12 volt supply to the fuel pump module turning the pump on.

The camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals are sent to the PCM. If the PCM does not receive the signal within approximately 1 second of engine cranking, it deactivates the fuel pump control and ASD relay. When the control and relay is deactivated, power is shut off from the fuel injectors, ignition coils, oxygen sensor heating elements and fuel pump.

Another member here had repaired the TIPM for the same problem. Found the TIPM had a bad capacitor and a few bad solder spots, also a little bit of water.

Another member had hot wired the fuel pump positive feed line going to the fuel pump to make sure the fuel pump was okay before working on the TIPM.

I would suggest you make sure you have spark on all the cylinders before looking at the TIPM.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Nov 2015 at 12:47 am.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Steve, thank you for the great info. It will run by squirting carb cleaner or gas in a squirt bottle, straight into the throttle body, and continue to run as long as I am squirting fuel into it, all cylinders are firing. The weather is not good here, I will inspect the TIPM soon as the weather gets better. It looks like that will be this weekend. Thank you all for responding.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, I have inspected the TIPM, and contacts to the computer. I can not find anything wrong. It wont give me any codes either. How many times do I turn the ignition on, and off? 3 times is not working. I have another question. The regulator is in the tank, so if I run a hot , and ground to the pump from the ignition switch, will the regulator work properly. Thank you.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
If it was running before you did the head, its possible to accidentally switch the coil and cam sensor connectors. Many have done it. Been there done that too.
I just changed the hg on our 05 and ran into this problem too. Same exact connector for both sensors both in the same place. Incompetent design by the factory in my eyes.

I also ran into the problem of bad grounds from the charcoal can, and by the front passenger bumper, low battery, and malfunctioning coil pack all at the same time. The low battery makes sense but the rest are just some kind of pt cruiser owners luck
Old 17 Nov 2015, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the color of the wires with a wiring diagram, the wires are correct.
I am going to try a hot wire from the ignition switch passing through a impact switch from 80s era Ford. so if I get in a crash, it will shut the fuel off.

Tags
fuel pump, pcm, tipm