Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is this the correct brake drum shoe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is this the correct brake drum shoe?

I have run into a hang up with the replacement drum shoes from autozone. It seems as the shoes that are on the car have a parking brake lever riveted to one brake shoe. The replacements i just bought dont have this.

The pt is a 2005 base non abs, the replacements are duralast 795 which seem correct for the vehicle on the website http://www.autozone.com/1/products/1...alast-759.html

Here; s what i am looking at shoes are the same size but cutouts are not the same.

Was the 2005 around a model change year? Are these pads from a different model year pt ? If this a catalog error? If so does anyone recognize what years shoes i really need?
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Is this the correct brake drum shoe?

When I replaced my shoes a few months ago...the auto parts stores carry both with & without parking brake lever. There was about a $10 difference in price.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
When I replaced my shoes a few months ago...the auto parts stores carry both with & without parking brake lever. There was about a $10 difference in price.
Perfect thanks! Back to the parts store i go.

I do remember there being two part choices but the casheir never asked any questions and just grabbed the cheaper box. I wonder why there are two options any ideas?
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
Perfect thanks! Back to the parts store i go.

I do remember there being two part choices but the casheir never asked any questions and just grabbed the cheaper box. I wonder why there are two options any ideas?

Most shoes have a removable C-Washer to unhook the lever, if I remember right, the PT uses a rivet. So you would have to find a way to replace it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Nov 2015, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Most shoes have a removable C-Washer to unhook the lever, if I remember right, the PT uses a rivet. So you would have to find a way to replace it.
Thats some useful information thanks. If the store doesnt have the other variant ii guess i will have to turn a pin that takes a c clip. I was wondering why there were c clips in the hardward pack i also bought, that mystery is explained now too
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
Thats some useful information thanks. If the store doesnt have the other variant ii guess i will have to turn a pin that takes a c clip. I was wondering why there were c clips in the hardward pack i also bought, that mystery is explained now too
post a photo of what the other side of that pin looks like on your original pads.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just the other end of a rivet, maybe it will help someone .

I went back to the store , they swapped the shoes for the right style. $15 difference. It seems there is a size difference between the two according to the employee. He wouldnt take back the hardware pack i also bought and said it fit either shoes. After i got the drum assembly apart i found that none of the parts in the hardware kit actually fit.... springs were too long, retaining pin heads went straight though the holes they should have been retained in. I had to cut and bend a lower shoe spring as the original rolled into a singularity that is under my garage workbench...

Found a matching hardware kit on ebay for $7 shipped so i am going to swap the hardware out when the package gets here