Well, Son-of-a ..... More codes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2015, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Well, Son-of-a ..... More codes

Okay Guys, My son gets home from a 12 hour shift at work last night and tells me the CEL came back on on the GT. I thought it was going to be the P0300 again and waited until this morning to check. Nooooooooooooo, now it something new. Frigging P0441 and P0440. Damned purge flow fault. I'm HOPING that it was just from a loose gas cap, although, when I removed it, it did click. I cleaned the O-ring on it and the mounting surface and hope that takes care of it. My problem is that damned purge control valve. I wanted to remove the connector and clean it, just in case it's that and I can't get the frigging plug off the valve. It's pressed right against the drier for the a/c. How in the hell do you get that sum beech out of there? No matter how I try to turn my hand, I can't get the lock tab loose, hold it in place and then get the connector off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm to the point that once he gets some money saved, we're going to trade this bastard on a Toyota or something. I'm really starting to hate this PT.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Well, Son-of-a ..... More codes

P0440 EVAP Purge System Fault

The PCM has detected that the NVLD switch did not close during medium/large leak test.

Possible Causes:

1. EVAP purge valve vacuum supply is leaking or clogged
2. EVAP purge valve is stuck closed
3. EVAP purge solenoid has failed
4. NVLD assembly is damaged or has failed
5. NVLD switch circuit is open
6. NVLD switch has failed
7. Ground circuit is open
8. PCM has failed

P0441 - EVAP Purge Flow Monitor Fault

Possible Causes:

1. EVAP purge solenoid vacuum line loose, leaking or restricted
2. EVAP purge solenoid stuck leaking, stuck open or stuck closed
3. EVAP purge vacuum line to canister leaking or disconnected
4. EVAP canister leaking, damaged or has failed

I would suggest resetting the DTC's and see if it comes back.

If the codes come back I would suggest checking for any vacuum leaks first.

The natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD) and the purge solenoid are mechanical electrical valves.

If no vacuum leaks I suggest you check the purge solenoid and the wiring going to it.

If the purge solenoid works properly I would suggest checking the NVLD wiring going to it and if that is okay check the NVLD.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Nov 2015 at 09:09 am.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 07:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Well, I cleaned the gas cap O-ring and the top of the fuel filler neck with a rag soaked with alcohol and then cleared the codes. It's been driven 110 miles and no more CEL. So, I'm not going to fool with the EVAP system. As I stated, I can't even get the connector off the purge valve solenoid, so won't mess with it. I scored a coil, two horns and the plastic cover for the throttle linkage yesterday, all for $25. Guy at the salvage gave me the horns and cover and just charged me for the coil!. They also have a nice looking 2001 Grand Caravan for sell that I'm going to go back and talk to them about. If they'll trade me straight up for the GT, then it'll be gone. I'm tired of effing with this damn thing. The GC has the 3.3 engine which is one of my all time favorite Mopar engines and it has a timing CHAIN and not a belt. I really like that, as my last one had 212,000 miles on it and I rarely had to do anything other than preventative maintenance on it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 07:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

a PCM will not run the EVAP test unless certain conditions are met. as long as you avoid the following, it will never come back. when codes disappear for a day/week/month, this is usually why as opposed to what you think is a fluke or intermittent problem.

Quote:
Chrysler: There are two-parts to this test. The first part runs after idling for five minutes, then driving at 30 to 45 mph for two minutes (fuel tank must be half to 85 percent full). The second part runs after the vehicle has sit for 8 or more hours (cold soak) without being driven. Start the engine and idle for four minutes, then drive in stop-and-go traffic for five minutes using smooth accelerations and decelerations. Stop and idle for 4 minutes. The EVAP monitor should be complete.
personally i would glue/silicone/tape the plastic to the metal on the fill tube if it happens again, as this is free to try. see here, towards the bottom of the first post, the paragraph that starts "Turns out"
P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue
Old 22 Nov 2015, 09:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Guy at the salvage gave me the horns and cover and just charged me for the coil!. They also have a nice looking 2001 Grand Caravan for sell that I'm going to go back and talk to them about. If they'll trade me straight up for the GT, then it'll be gone. I'm tired of effing with this damn thing.
you think that a 2001 caravan from a salvage yard is going to have less problems than a PT with one very minor code?

if you're hard up for cash and sick of the PT, why do you waste $$ on crap you'll never need, like the coil and extra horns?

not trying to be a jerk, just confused by your logic.
Cat22 likes this.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
a PCM will not run the EVAP test unless certain conditions are met. as long as you avoid the following, it will never come back. when codes disappear for a day/week/month, this is usually why as opposed to what you think is a fluke or intermittent problem.

personally i would glue/silicone/tape the plastic to the metal on the fill tube if it happens again, as this is free to try. see here, towards the bottom of the first post, the paragraph that starts "Turns out"
P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue
Wouldn't you be able to tell if the PCM ran the EVAP test when you hook up the OBDII Scan Tool and look at the readiness files? This is good information to know in case anyone wants to know if what is done to fix the EVAP problem actually did fix it. When I had a problem with the EVAP system I kept checking the readiness files until it went out about 4 days later but my issue was just a bad seal at the gas cap.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Nov 2015 at 10:06 am.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 10:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Wouldn't you be able to tell if the PCM ran the EVAP test when you hook up the OBDII Scan Tool and look at the readiness files? This is good information to know in case anyone wants to know if what is done to fix the EVAP problem actually did fix it. When I had a problem with the EVAP system I kept checking the readiness files until it went out about 4 days later but my issue was just a bad seal at the gas cap.
yeah you can tell. the crappy scanner i was using had the EVA and HTR blinking while the others were solid. the blinking indicated not ready.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (19.0 KB, 35 views)