PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Very Strange Electrical Issue Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2015, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Very Strange Electrical Issue Please Help!

Hi new member/owner here: 01 PT I have has never had a speck of trouble-new last owner. Yesterday, It started this thing where if you turned the key off it keeps running for like 30 secs, then all the gauge lights come on and it will either start and run like crap or not start at all. I researched a little and found the fan relay is often the cause, so I switched it. unhooked/rehooked battery and ran like a champ. But back to square 1 now that I shut it off. Is bad battery or failing altenator possible? thoug I did drive it about 30 miles today. I could use from experience/insight on this. Thanks
Old 21 Nov 2015, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Very Strange Electrical Issue Please Help!

Sounds to me like you might have a problem with the ignition switch.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

+1 on the ignition switch.

The ignition switch is on the left side of the steering column opposite the key. It can be removed and replaced without disturbing the key and lock. When removed, check the little white plastic shaft running from the key and make sure it's not broken or twisted.

If i was me, I'd remove the ignition switch, inspect the shaft, then blow it out good where it plugs in. Then I'd reinstall it and see what happens. Might just be that the plug got corroded or loose. My Dodge Ram did something similar due a bad wire in the ignition switch plug.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest that you check the wire harness under the PT Cruiser between the starter and crankshaft sensor to the PCM. The wire harness is put in place with a clip and sometimes on the 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers the clip breaks and the wire harness drops down to the half shaft or frame rubbing through the harness shorting wires to ground. This will not take long and should be checked before looking at the ignition switch.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will try looking at the harness, then switch if needed. I was trying to beat the cold and dark tonight and noticed that when I hook the battery back up, either the fan relay or asd relay clicks off for like a minute.