Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Cruiser Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Cruiser Owner

I recently purchased a 2007 automatic Touring edition of this vehicle with approximately 55,600 miles. It's really nice. I love the interior, exterior, and sound system. However. I am beginning to experience the tell-tale mechanical issues with the transmission and check engine indicator that I have read about.

Today, I got the car out for a trip on the highway, and took the backroad exit on the way home.

The car ran great until I hit the hill that climbs up off the highway from the exit that leads to my residence. The wind was blowing hard, and not long after I started ascending the steep grade the panel dinged, the engine light came on, and the transmission couldn't get into the next gear.

This was close to home. I made it to my driveway and parked it. I took it back out about a half-an-hour later and pushed the engine as hard as I could. The check engine light stayed on the entire time, but the car was apparently done misfiring.

Afterward, I read in the owner's manual that in terse conditions, the drivetrain should be changed to 3. Specifically, I read that in windy conditions, or on a steep grade, shifting the Transaxle into 3 is ideal for the transmission.

I am wondering if transitioning into higher performance conditions could have caused the transmission to stall and if so is that normal, OR if the bucking is indicative of a looming transmission problem. If it is the latter, I would ask the forum if there is any good advice to help nip the issue in the bud and avoid expensive dealer services.

Thanks guys. I used the key dance and the odometer is reading d0ne.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 01:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Cruiser Owner

I would suggest the first thing you do is take the PT Cruiser to an auto parts store like Pepboys and have them scan the engine trouble codes that came up.
Post what the codes are.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 07:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Ditto what Steve said. And in addition, if the trans fluid and filter have never been changed, do that, but use Mopar ATF+4 fluid only. I got my filter kit at O'Reilly and it worked great. Someone recently had a problem with one from Advance, saying the mounting tabs were not large enough to hold it into the valve body.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

+1 on getting the trouble code. This is the first and most important thing to do. There is a good chance that this code will indicate the problem or at least narrow it down.

Your normally aspirated (N/A non-turbo) PT Cruiser is rated at 150 horsepower but weighs almost 3,200 pounds. While going up a steep incline in overdrive,you can definitely lug the engine. This would be true even if the car was brand new. And this could cause a number of issues that might eventually throw a trouble code if lugged too hard for too long.

I used to drop my 2001 PT Limited into 3rd gear in these situations. And it did great in 3rd. That engine did not like to lug. I used to tell my wife that it was like driving a log truck with 318 Detroit 2 cycle engine. You need to slam the door on you hand when get in. That way you will drive it like you are mad at it.

But check that code and report back in this thread. Once the members have more information, we can likely give better advice.

And welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!
Old 24 Nov 2015, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN