Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weak heat output

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2015, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weak heat output

Hey everyone my wife 03 pt non turbo has 69,000 miles . The heater was Luke warm but not blazing hot and i noticed the temp gauge would go up to about normal them fall down and repeat so I replaced the thermostat. With my solus edge scan tool I watched the data and it would range from 186-194 degrees. So I did a t stat. The temperature now stays a little more steady but still the heater is only 122 degrees on 3rd blower speed. The car even sitting doesn't get above 200 degrees and stay around 190-192 majority of the time. The thermostat says 195 but I know some are rated differently so maybe it opens before them but it's my wife open till 195. Either way shouldn't the heater be warmer? Also I checked the cable at the temp switch it's moving freely and appears to be going it's entire travel though I could not see the blend door where the. Cable attaches. Both heater hoses get hot at full temp. so what should I do? My dart blows around 155 degrees so what's the deal the pt used to be warmer. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 09:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Weak heat output

what is the cooling fan doing? staying off?

34343.jpg
Old 27 Nov 2015, 09:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Try flushing the cooling system. Sounds to me like you've got a partially clogged heater core.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

They'll come on but it doesn't warm up enough sitting with heat on to kick them on.
What's the best way to flush it? The cars cooling system looks clean from what I can see of it.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Shouldn't the car warm up to 210 or so sitting and the fan come on to bring it back down? It never needed the fan on to stay cool....
Old 27 Nov 2015, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Both heater hoses are equally hot. I'm pretty confident the blend door is ok. The temp gauge still fluctuates from 1 line below half to half. I'm kind of confused really.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 08:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

based on the fact you say it's fluctuating from half to 1/4 on the temp needle, you might try a "stant 45209" thermostat.

Stant SuperStat Thermostats 45209 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Nitro on here recommended me a stant superstat thermostat and i've liked it enough that i have one in my PT and also in my mustang. when i switched the ford over to a huge radiator and electric fans, the car wouldn't get up to temp with the vatozone thermostat.. well, sometimes it would but it was not consistent.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 01:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

A couple of observations on the blend door.

If you remove the power window switch (it pries out from the bottom, cushion the screwdriver so as not to mar the dash). You can see the cable connection and operation at the control panel. (I'm just making a note of this, it sounds like you already checked that.)

With the engine off and everything quiet, you can hear the blend door when it closes. Turning the temperature control knob to full heat, as it makes the last detent in the turn, there's a soft "thump" as the blend door closes. At least my PT does this. It sounds a little like when you pop your palm down over an empty glass, but lower in pitch.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll have to double check for the thump. I did look through the window switch hole and saw the cable and the cable goes into the sheath of the cable and it goes all the way against that when its at full heat.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the blend door and it's good. I flushed the heater core with a hose then ran some flush chemical through it and let it sit and then flushed it again in both directions several times. I got more rusty looking water and rust particles than I expected. I now have 130 degree air. Is that similar to others on here? My dart blows at 150-155 but it's new so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. The temp outside is 35 degrees. All input is appreciated.